ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] One point in the compromise spectrum

  • To: "GNSO IGO INGO (gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx)" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] One point in the compromise spectrum
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 00:23:56 -0400

Hi,

The following are my own views.

Aspects of these views have periodically been discussed in the NCUC and NCSG
discussion and policy lists.  No group decisions have been made yet.  I believe
that many of these positions are consistent with prevailing viewpoints of the
NCUC and possibly the NCSG.  Discussions will be initiated on this in the
NCSG-dicuss  and -policy lists.

I. Reservations at the top and second level

I generally do not support adding to the reservation lists at either the top or
second level.  I think this is consistent with NCUC and possibly NCSG positions.

I support objection procedures at the top level and RPMs at the second level
should be made accessible to IGO/INGOs.

I do not support the creation of new types of reservations lists, nor the idea
of creating new forms of exception from reservation list.  If a name is put on
the reservation list it must remain unused unless there are particularly
exceptional reasons for allowing registrations.  The RESP process, because of
its extraordinary difficulty, remains an appropriate means of removing items
from the reserved list.  I do not support any form of exemption for names on a
reserved list except the RSEP process.  Certainly within the RSEP process, the
evidence of the privileged party should be taken into account, but only if it
can be definitely shown and guaranteeed that no compensation either direct or
indirect has been, or will be, given for the permission to register the name.

If any names are put on the reserved list, the only names I would be
comfortable with allowing are the Red Cross Red Crescent names.  Their
situation appears to be truly unique given the International Law contained in
the various Geneva Conventions, and their use of these names in war and
catastrophe situations.  I believe there is other support for this position in
the NCUC and the NCSG.

II Question Set 2

1.       Is there broad support by WG members for the registration of IGO
acronyms into the TMCH?

Taking into account the operational policy difficulties as outlined by others
and the need for these issues to be resolved before any implementation I
support the inclusion of IGO full names in the TMCH for the purposes of claims
service, but not sunrise purposes.

I would also support consideration of the inclusion of INGO acronyms in the
TMCH on the same basis.

In terms of sunrise purposes, I believe that inclusion fo IGO full names should
be recommended to registries as a optional RPM they should consider.

2.       Do WG members agree that if access to the TMCH were made possible,
that this should be initiated by the IGOs seeking protection?

Yes, I think any inclusion should be initiated by the individual organization.
This would be necessary for them to be able to offer any evidence of the
justification for their claims.

In the first instance having been listed on a GAC list should be sufficient
criteria, but having a list created by the GAC is not an optimal solution
especially as INGOs and others apply for the protections. In the long run
further criteria should be developed to cover the range of IGO/INGO that should
get such treatment.

3.       Per the thread below, what other operational issues should be
considered or discussed to enhance this possible recommendation?

Agree with the list as laid out by Mason. I would extend the same
considerations to INGO qualification - where there might be additional issues
to be investigated.

III Fee waivers (and standing) could be considered for:

- Objections against applications for gTLDs / Top Level

1.       Is there support for IGO, IOC, and RCRC to have equivalent standing
similar to the GAC and ALAC for filing objections against top-level
applications for gTLDs? (Note that there is no charge of a filing fee for that
GAC and ALAC)

I have several issues with this.

a. Any IGO name can well be considered for early warning by the GAC given IGO
position as observers in the GAC

b. Any INGO could have applied to the At-Large for support in filing an
objection against any name.

c. The IGO/INGOs have access to to the Independent Objector (IO)

I do not support giving IGO/INGO the same free objection as was given to each
nation.  then again, I did not support giving a free objection to each nation.

2.       If there is no support for equivalent standing, is there support for a
fee reduction for filing objections to new gTLD applications by IGO, IOC, and
RCRC?

I believe they all had access to the GAC and IO filing mechanisms.  It is
obvious that the GAC takes protecting these organizations seriously, so I have
no difficulty believing they would have filed, and will file in the future, any
necessary objections.

3.       If there is no support for either concept, what are your thoughts
about the organizations seeking protection to collaborate with the GAC for gTLD
applications where an objection is being considered?

I think IGOs should collaborate with the GAC and INGOs should collaborate with
the ALAC.

- Applications to the TMCH
- URS
- UDRP

A. I support the use of URDP and URS by these organizations and support the
expansion of UDRP and URS as needed to add special protection privileges for
IGO and INGOs.

I support creation of a fee support program for needy IGO/INGO to be able to
use the various RPMs.  I think that most of the very high fees that ICANN and
its myriad business partners (especially the dispute resolution organizations)
charge for all the mechanisms to do with domain names should be subsidized for
many public service and charitable groups.  I suggest that as was done for the
Applicant Support Program a portion of the excess funds (aka profits when
accumulated by a non profit) accumulated by ICANN, and in this case, the
Dispute Resolution providers could be applied to such a purpose.

Against what standards would these applications be made?

If we are going to allow people to apply for special protection for their names
we have to take the widest possible approach to this and allow every INGO and
charitable institution the same privileges.

There has long been a discussion of how the massive excess funds and profits
accumulated by all in the process of creating and managing new gTLDs should be
distributed.  This includes the discussion of how funds from auctions would be
used.  There have been periodic discussions of establishing a fund management
entity of some sort to manage and distribute such funds. the ICANN Board has
the topic of a Foundation/Fund on its agenda to discuss at some point.   Given
the public service obligations of a corporation in the public interest, I would
suggest that this is an avenue that should be explored.

That is,  IGO/INGO, charities, developing economy NGOs etc should be subsidized
in their access to the RPMS.  There is a need, however,  for checks and
balances in administering these programs and with admission control to the
special benefits. I believe that a mechanism similar to the SARP point based
application developed by the ICANN staff with the assistance of the JAS working
group should be established with the assistance of this group.   That is to
say, while I believe there should a subsidy plan, I think there should be
strict admission control to the process, including requirements for
demonstrating both need and philanthropic bonafides.

In order to give special benefits to IGOs, perhaps the GAC designated lists are
intially sufficient.  In order to give INGO special benefits, a more involved
support review panel mechanism would need to be developed.