ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Topic #3 - IGO-INGO Equivalent Standing for Objections

  • To: Berry Cobb <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Topic #3 - IGO-INGO Equivalent Standing for Objections
  • From: Mason Cole <mcole@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 12:15:48 -0700

Berry --

Like David and the RySG, the RrSG has yet to formally discuss these ideas.  But
here's initial reaction below.

Thanks --

Mason

On May 3, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Berry Cobb wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Judging by the responses and the Chair’s assessment thus far, it appears that
> there is not much support for Fee Waivers at the various levels of the
> protection mechanisms discussed, with the exception at the top-level for
> future applications of gTLDs.  We ask that the WG stakeholders respond to the
> following questions in the context that an organization’s identifiers would
> not be placed on a reserved names list or listed in the Applicant Guidebook
> as ineligible for registration:
> 1.       Is there support for IGO, IOC, and RCRC to have equivalent standing
> similar to the GAC and ALAC for filing objections against top-level
> applications for gTLDs? (Note that there is no charge of a filing fee for
> that GAC and ALAC)

                No.

> 2.       If there is no support for equivalent standing, is there support for
> a fee reduction for filing objections to new gTLD applications by IGO, IOC,
> and RCRC?

                No.  Contracted party fees and applicant fees already subsidize
most of ICANN's activity.  We wouldn't favor adding to that burden.  And an
updated reserved names list would be a better approach, as David says.

> 3.       If there is no support for either concept, what are your thoughts
> about the organizations seeking protection to collaborate with the GAC for
> gTLD applications where an objection is being considered?

                I'm unclear as to what this means specifically.