ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Compiled Responses for Protections Matrix

  • To: "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Compiled Responses for Protections Matrix
  • From: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 17:53:26 +0000

Mike:

Actually, you are incorrect, at least in part.  As I read the responses, one of
the members you name in fact expressed disagreement with WG consensus position
on IGO names at the top level, expressing concern with giving a pre-emptive
“block” to any IGOs, at least without empirical support (evidence of abuse).  A
second member then agreed with that first member.  So I would score it 5-2 on
support for IGO full name protection at the top level and 6-1 against IGO
acronym protection (but with one of those 6 expressing sympathy for IGO acronym
protection where the organization is primarily known by its acronym, e.g.,
UNESCO or UNICEF).  I would say at this point, there is divergence on the first
point (but which may be resolved in favor of consensus), but my view (in favor
of full name protection) is in the majority and NOT divergent.  On the second
point (support for acronym protection), it probably is fair to say that I am an
outlier (putting aside the “sympathy” expressed by another member) and that the
sense of the group does not favor protection for acronyms.  On that point, I
should have been more specific and I stand corrected.  My chart originally said
“Support” for the top level protections, and I changed it to “Divergent” after
receiving the two responses noted above.  I thought it was important to note
the potential change in support for the full name removal from delegation,
since I have been supportive of it on these calls.

I’ve refrained from naming names above because I think this sort of thing is
better resolved on the IPC Discussion Group than here.  I am going to move this
discussion back to the IPC Discussion Group.

Best regards,

Greg

Gregory S. Shatan
Partner