ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus call - input requested by 3 September, 23.59 UTC

  • To: IGO INGO <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus call - input requested by 3 September, 23.59 UTC
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 19:51:44 -0400

Attached is my position on the Consensus Call issues.

The positions have been agreed to by those on the ALAC who have been most closely following the issue, and I have received no disagreements from others, but this has not been subjected to a formal ratification of the ALAC. If such a vote were taken, my expectation is that it would pass.

If a two cases, I indicated support, but only if certain other conditions were met. Specifically:

- We support fee waivers or reduced pricing for the TMCH, but NOT if they are paid for by other TMCH users. Subsidy by ICANN, the only expected alternative, is acceptable. - We support a permanent claims notice, but only if it is available for Trademarks as well. To implement it just for IGO-INGOs does not seem reasonable.

We will leave it up to Thomas and Berry or the WG to decide whether these map into Support or No Support.

In a few cases, we felt that an explanation is necessary and included it. It does not alter the answer.

In many cases, we answered "Can live with". This can be treated as "Support", but we felt it was necessary to reiterate that we either feel that:
- the protection is not needed or
- we do not actively support this but it will do little actual harm and we will not object.

Alan