ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus Level

• To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kiran Malancharuvil <Kiran.Malancharuvil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus Level
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 19:31:00 -0400

Chuck, I find that problematic. We know that the current philosophy (and one that I think that you have supported) is that Council should not make policy changes, but just remand a report back to the WG if there is a problems.

Alan

At 10/09/2013 06:52 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
I am pretty sure that Thomas already reached out to them. I agree that it is better late than never but I don't think we should delay finalizing our report because of late responses. At this point, I think the best thing we can do is agree on the Final Report and send it to the Council. Any discrepancies in terms of support levels can be ironed out in the public comment period and via GNSO processes at the Council level.

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: Kiran Malancharuvil [mailto:Kiran.Malancharuvil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:39 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck
Cc: Alan Greenberg; Thomas Rickert; gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus Level

Who are our WG reps from those groups? Maybe we can reach out to them and get an official position? Better late than never?

Thanks,

Kiran

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 10, 2013, at 6:36 PM, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Thanks Alan. I understand your rationale but I think it would make more sense if we had a better response to the consensus call. As it stands, there were no responses from three voting groups on the Council: the RrSG, the BC & the ISPCP. That's big gap in my opinion and very unfortunate and I question whether we should reach conclusions about WG level of support without taking into consideration what participants from those three groups communicated in our WG efforts.

Chuck

Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:56 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck; Thomas Rickert; gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus Level

Largely on the responses. My inclination (and should have said) is that if we are going to factor in other views not represented in the formal replies, that they need to be sumarized so there is something less nebulous that dozens of hours of MP3 and transcripts to refer to.

Alan

At 10/09/2013 05:34 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

Alan,

Did you base your assessments strictly on the response to the consensus call or did you also take into consideration the work of WG over the last few months as Thomas tried to do.

Chuck

Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:24 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck; Thomas Rickert; gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus Level

I generally agree with the assessments with the following exceptions:

IOC-1: Looks like Strong support but significant opposition (SSbSO)to me.
IOC-2: SSbSO
Note that 1 and 2 receved virtually identical answers to 3 and 4 which were rated SSbSO.

IGO-2: SSbSO
IGO-4: Looks more like Consensus to me.

General-2: Looks like a Minority View (MV)
General-4: mv
General-7: Given that it is highly unlikely that we will make claims permanent for TMs, this is a MV.

Alan

From: owner-gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:owner-gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx> [ mailto:owner-gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thomas Rickert
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 3:55 PM
To: gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Consensus Level

All,
as discussed during the last WG call, please find attached the assessment of the consensus level I made as chair of this WG.

Please do take the time and verify whether you agree with the determination I made. That means that I would like to ask you whether you share my view of the consensus level inside the group for the individual recommendations. The task is not to say whether you like the outcome of the consensus call or not, but to let the group know if you disagree with the level of consensus I have spelled out in the attached document. Thus, it may well be that you take a different position and do not like that a certain position has reached consensus or another recommendation is tagged "divergence", but you can still confirm whether you agree with my assessment or not. For the sake of making things easier, you do not have to send your agreement to the list, but it is important that you speak out if you think I made a mistake. What I would least like to see is that we get an issue or even formal steps taken against the determination of the consensus level. I am more than happy to discuss each and every individual point, both on the list as well as with you individually, should you wish so.

How did I get to the results you find in the document?

To avoid duplication, I would like to refer you to the transcript of the this week's call where we went through the respective rules of the WG Guidelines. In brief:

Determining the consensus level is an iterative process. Hence, I have not only taken the outcome of the consensus call, the deadline of which ended earlier this week. I have looked at records of our deliberations and inputs that were provided by various groups. In particular, I have taken a look at the positions that were taken by those that did not respond to the consensus call as their opinion should not get lost in the process.

As a consequence, the attached document shows some changes compared to earlier versions of the paper.

Please allow me to make a personal remark: As a group, we have developed all the remarkable recommendations you find in the document and now I find myself as an individual determining the consensus level. That is quite odd. So please help me to get this right to do the work of the group justice.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Thomas

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy