ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Final Report

  • To: "'David W. Maher'" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Teng, Joanne" <joanne.teng@xxxxxxxx>, Berry Cobb <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-igo-ingo] IGO-INGO - Final Report
  • From: "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 19:36:47 +0000

All:

I agree with Chuck as well.  According to the “consensus tool” attached to
Berry’s last email, 8 out of the 10 groups did not support these proposals.
Only the IGOs and Poncelet Ileji supported these proposals.  I know that this
is not a mechanical voting process, and determining a consensus result is more
nuanced than merely counting noses.  Nonetheless, the results of the consensus
call deserve great weight, and the difference between one level of consensus
and the next should shift in the “gray areas” and not where a clear consensus
(in either direction) emerges.

As a matter of substance, and not semantics, how can you say that a  tally like
that supports “Divergence” as a conclusion?  As a matter of substance, and not
semantics, how is “Consensus Against” a “mis-characterization” of such a tally?
 As a matter of substance, and not semantics, how can you say that such a tally
represents a “lack of consensus”?

I think it would diminish the credibility of the Working Group and the WG
process if the consensus “name” did not accurately reflect the consensus
result.  “Divergence” is a state where there is not strong support for any
particular position.  How does a tally where 8 of 10 did not support a proposal
equate to such a state?  8 out of 10 would seem to me to support “Consensus.”

I must also take issue with the statement that “Each member of this Working
Group is aware that there is no actual “Consensus Against”.”  As with Chuck, I
am also aware of no such thing.  It might be fair to say that “there is no
semantic “Consensus Against” (i.e., that the consensus scale doesn’t formally
recognize such a thing).  But this is not a semantic exercise.  It is an
exercise in accurately reflecting the will of the group.  To say that there is
no actual “Consensus Against” in this particular instance is just wrong.  I
will give Joanne the benefit of the doubt that she is referring to the formal
consensus scale, and not somehow accusing the WG of a willful mislabeling of
the level of support for these proposals.

Finally, I think we can all be sympathetic with the idea that a group that
feels most “directly impacted” should somehow be given more weight in the
process.  Most if not all groups have argued that at one point or another in
ICANN.  Unfortunately, that concept is anathema to the multistakeholder model.
If any group wants its positions to be given more weight at any point in the
multistakeholder model, the path to that involves participation, persuasion,
dedication, and superior marshaling and sharing of facts and arguments to move
“hearts and minds” and ultimately the consensus.

I say all this as someone who has been sympathetic to the acronym proposal, and
as one who in fact supported the acronym proposal within the IP constituency’s
discussion of the matter.  However, I accepted the overall level of consensus
in my constituency, and I suggest that the IGOs should do the same here.   The
IGO position is clearly a minority view, and the IGOs have appropriately
provided a minority statement in that regard.  However,  it is not appropriate
to drag the consensus needle back to the middle position of divergence where
that minority position stands almost alone, and nearly every other group has
formed a consensus opposite to that position.

That’s enough for the moment.  I’ve stated my thoughts on this topic first in
an email on September 18th and at length in my email of October 30 (not
responded to by any IGO reps) and on several calls, most recently our call of
October 30 (not participated in by any IGO reps).  I look forward to any

Greg

Gregory S. Shatan
Partner
Reed Smith LLP