ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

Re: REVISED draft motion (Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 06 NOV 2013)

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: REVISED draft motion (Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 06 NOV 2013)
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 18:21:11 -0800

Hi again Chuck and everyone, thank you so much for the very detailed
feedback; it is much appreciated! I've attempted to provide some initial
see below.

Cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director
Telephone: +1 603 574 4892
Email: mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx

* One World. One Internet. *

From:  <Gomes>, Chuck <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Wednesday, November 6, 2013 7:03 PM
To:  Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx"
<gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  RE: REVISED draft motion (Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda -
IGO-INGO Meeting 06 NOV 2013)

> Let me first complement those who drafted this motion.  It is one of the
> cleanest I have ever seen albeit one of the longest.  I am not criticizing the
> length because I personally think that the Whereas clauses provide important
> historical context.
>
> Here are some specific comments on the motion:
> 1.      It seems to me that Whereas clauses 5 & 15 duplicate but the dates
> given are different.  If I remember correctly, I think the December date is
> the correct one.  If so, I think we could replace Whereas clause 5 with
> Whereas clause 15 and delete Whereas clause 15.  Another approach would be to
> delete Whereas clause 5.  I lean toward the former because it goes with the
> conclusion of the DT work that is included in clause 3; if that is done, the
> new Whereas clause 5 should be moved to immediately follow Whereas clause 3 to
> maintain the chronological order.  (I hope this isn¹t too confusing!)

[MARY] They were drafted as two separate Whereas clauses as the Council had
two separate motions on two separate occasions; the first to deal with the
top level, the second with the second level recommendations, as I recall. We
are happy to make the change suggested if that is what the WG would prefer.

> 2.      Whereas clause 18 refers to the WG as ŒRCRC-IOC-IGO-INGO Working
> Group¹; I am okay with this but wonder if we should use the more commonly used
> title ³IGO-INGO PDP WG².  In the same clause we should change ŒInitial Report¹
> to ŒDraft Final Report¹.  If we do this here, we should also do it in current
> Resolve clause 7.

[MARY] Yes, happy to do this if the WG agrees.

> 3.      In Whereas clause 19 we say ³the Working Group published its Final
> Report².  Are we going to publish it?  If so, where?  I know we are sending
> the report to the Council so I definitely think we should say that.  If we are
> going to publish it, I suggest we say ³the Working Group published its Final
> Report at (insert link) and sent it to the GNSO Council, . . .²  If not, we
> could simply say we sent it to the Council.  I strongly believe it needs to be
> published so I think the former is the way to go.

[MARY] We do "publish" these types of documents in the form of a link and
downloadable PDF (even when there is no public comment forum). We can
certainly add the language to say that it was also sent to the Council.

> 4.      Because of the length of the motion and the likelihood that readers
> (including Councilors) may miss some of the different nuances, I suggest that
> we put terms like the following in bold font: top-level, second-level, full
> name, Scope 1, Scope 2, exact matches, acronym.

[MARY] Yes, we will do this.

> 5.      A minor edit is needed in Resolve clause 2.A, second bullet:  change
> Œa RCRC organizations¹ to Œa RCRC organization¹ or ŒRCRC organizations¹.

[MARY] Please see Jim's and the IOC team's suggested edits for this.

> 6.      In cases where we have ³(as found in Specification 5 of the current
> New gTLD Registry Agreement)², I think we should instead have ³in
> Specification 5 of the New gTLD Registry Agreement.²  The way it is worded now
> could be taken to mean that the reserved names should be the same as those
> listed in the current registry agreement, which is not what we mean.  We also
> should say that this new list should replace what is in the current agreement.
> For example, at the end of the second bullet for the RCRC of Resolve clause
> 2.A, it should say ³For the current round of New gTLDs, the names subject to
> this recommendation shall be placed on the Reserved Names List in
> Specification 5 of the current New gTLD Registry Agreement, replacing in
> current text related to these names.²

[MARY] We had thought that the preceding language referring to the current
round would suffice; nonetheless, we can definitely amend the references to
Spec 5.

> 7.      I think we should add a new Resolve clause between what is now clauses
> 2 and 3 that follows the same pattern as in clause 2 for recommendations that
> received Œstrong support with significant opposition¹.  It is possible for the
> Council to decide to submit those recommendation as consensus policy
> recommendations and, if they do, there would not need to be significant
> editing to the motion before a vote occurs.  On the other hand, if they do not
> decide to include those recommendations, it would be very easy to simply
> delete that resolve clause or some portion(s) of it.

[MARY] We can add a separate Resolve clause for these recommendations if the
WG so desires.

> 8.      In what is now Resolve clause 3, I suggest that we change it as
> follows: ³The GNSO Council adopts the following Consensus recommendations made
> by the Working Group that apply to all four categories of identifiers and
> recommends their adoption by the ICANN Board².  This is not essential but I
> think it would add some clarity in terms of why these recommendations are
> separated from the earlier ones.  Also, I think a minor edit is needed in the
> first bullet: change ³String Ineligible for Delegation² to ³Strings Ineligible
> for Delegation².

[MARY] As much clarity as possible is always a good thing :) We will amend
as the WG requests.

> 9.      In the last bullet under current Resolve clause 4, I think it would be
> a good idea to clarify what the exception procedure is for.  For example: ³To
> the extent that Scope 1 identifiers for INGOs are withheld from registration
> at the second level, meaning that in the current round they are placed in
> Specification 5 of the new gTLD Registry Agreement, existing Registry
> Agreements shall include an exception procedure [insert purpose, i.e., that
> allows applicable INGOs or other organizations to register the strings
> providing steps are taken to minimize confusion] (Section 3.4.3 of the Working
> Group¹s Final Report).²

[MARY] We can do this as well.

> 10.  The first sentence of Resolve clause 7 is very complicated. I took a stab
> at improving it:  ³The GNSO Council shall convene a RCRC-IOC-IGO-INGO
> Implementation Review Team to assist ICANN staff in developing the
> implementation details relating to the recommendations adopted herein if they
> are approved by the ICANN Board, including the Principles of Implementation
> highlighted by the WG in Section 3.7 of its Final Report. . . . ²

[MARY] Some of the language here was borrowed from recent Council motions
that passed, e.g. For the Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP
Proceedings. The main point here is to include, specifically, the reference
to the Principles of Implementation and (following today's call) the
Exception Procedures to be developed. We will amend accordingly, and per WG
decision.

> I hope these make sense.  Please let me know if they do not.

[MARY] Thank YOU for the detailed comments, Chuck and everyone!