ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

RE: REVISED draft motion (Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 06 NOV 2013)

  • To: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-igo-ingo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: REVISED draft motion (Re: [gnso-igo-ingo] Proposed Agenda - IGO-INGO Meeting 06 NOV 2013)
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 00:03:36 +0000

Let me first complement those who drafted this motion.  It is one of the
cleanest I have ever seen albeit one of the longest.  I am not criticizing the
length because I personally think that the Whereas clauses provide important
historical context.

Here are some specific comments on the motion:

1.       It seems to me that Whereas clauses 5 & 15 duplicate but the dates
given are different.  If I remember correctly, I think the December date is the
correct one.  If so, I think we could replace Whereas clause 5 with Whereas
clause 15 and delete Whereas clause 15.  Another approach would be to delete
Whereas clause 5.  I lean toward the former because it goes with the conclusion
of the DT work that is included in clause 3; if that is done, the new Whereas
clause 5 should be moved to immediately follow Whereas clause 3 to maintain the
chronological order.  (I hope this isn't too confusing!)

2.       Whereas clause 18 refers to the WG as 'RCRC-IOC-IGO-INGO Working
Group'; I am okay with this but wonder if we should use the more commonly used
title "IGO-INGO PDP WG".  In the same clause we should change 'Initial Report'
to 'Draft Final Report'.  If we do this here, we should also do it in current
Resolve clause 7.

3.       In Whereas clause 19 we say "the Working Group published its Final
Report".  Are we going to publish it?  If so, where?  I know we are sending the
report to the Council so I definitely think we should say that.  If we are
going to publish it, I suggest we say "the Working Group published its Final
Report at (insert link) and sent it to the GNSO Council, . . ."  If not, we
could simply say we sent it to the Council.  I strongly believe it needs to be
published so I think the former is the way to go.

4.       Because of the length of the motion and the likelihood that readers
(including Councilors) may miss some of the different nuances, I suggest that
we put terms like the following in bold font: top-level, second-level, full
name, Scope 1, Scope 2, exact matches, acronym.

5.       A minor edit is needed in Resolve clause 2.A, second bullet:  change
'a RCRC organizations' to 'a RCRC organization' or 'RCRC organizations'.

6.       In cases where we have "(as found in Specification 5 of the current
New gTLD Registry Agreement)", I think we should instead have "in Specification
5 of the New gTLD Registry Agreement."  The way it is worded now could be taken
to mean that the reserved names should be the same as those listed in the
current registry agreement, which is not what we mean.  We also should say that
this new list should replace what is in the current agreement. For example, at
the end of the second bullet for the RCRC of Resolve clause 2.A, it should say
"For the current round of New gTLDs, the names subject to this recommendation
shall be placed on the Reserved Names List in Specification 5 of the current
New gTLD Registry Agreement, replacing in current text related to these names."

7.       I think we should add a new Resolve clause between what is now clauses
2 and 3 that follows the same pattern as in clause 2 for recommendations that
received 'strong support with significant opposition'.  It is possible for the
Council to decide to submit those recommendation as consensus policy
recommendations and, if they do, there would not need to be significant editing
to the motion before a vote occurs.  On the other hand, if they do not decide
to include those recommendations, it would be very easy to simply delete that
resolve clause or some portion(s) of it.

8.       In what is now Resolve clause 3, I suggest that we change it as
follows: "The GNSO Council adopts the following Consensus recommendations made
by the Working Group that apply to all four categories of identifiers and
recommends their adoption by the ICANN Board".  This is not essential but I
think it would add some clarity in terms of why these recommendations are
separated from the earlier ones.  Also, I think a minor edit is needed in the
first bullet: change "String Ineligible for Delegation" to "Strings Ineligible
for Delegation".

9.       In the last bullet under current Resolve clause 4, I think it would be
a good idea to clarify what the exception procedure is for.  For example: "To
the extent that Scope 1 identifiers for INGOs are withheld from registration at
the second level, meaning that in the current round they are placed in
Specification 5 of the new gTLD Registry Agreement, existing Registry
Agreements shall include an exception procedure [insert purpose, i.e., that
allows applicable INGOs or other organizations to register the strings
providing steps are taken to minimize confusion] (Section 3.4.3 of the Working
Group's Final Report)."

10.   The first sentence of Resolve clause 7 is very complicated. I took a stab
at improving it:  "The GNSO Council shall convene a RCRC-IOC-IGO-INGO
Implementation Review Team to assist ICANN staff in developing the
implementation details relating to the recommendations adopted herein if they
are approved by the ICANN Board, including the Principles of Implementation
highlighted by the WG in Section 3.7 of its Final Report. . . . "

I hope these make sense.  Please let me know if they do not.

Chuck