ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-igo-ingo]

[gnso-igo-ingo] Re: Final GNSO Motion Redline

  • To: Jim Bikoff <jbikoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-igo-ingo] Re: Final GNSO Motion Redline
  • From: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 15:45:58 -0800

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for getting your suggested edits in to the group today. We
will have your proposed revisions available for the WG to discuss during the
next call (or on Friday).

While awaiting WG feedback on the motion, including these new suggested
edits, I just wanted to note a couple of observations about two of the
proposed changes to the Whereas clauses:
* For Whereas clause 12, the Final Issue Report does not expressly recommend
that the GNSO consider "whether to extend the temporary protections already
afforded to the RCRC and the IOC", although the Report acknowledges the
temporary protections in place and so this may have been implicit in the
broader recommendation for the GNSO to evaluate the need and extent of
protections (and not just on a temporary basis) for IGOs and INGOs,
including the RCRC and the IOC.
* For Whereas clause 14, the language of the Board/NGPC Resolution does not,
in the relevant Resolved clause, specifically mention INGOs, although the
Board/NGPC does acknowledge in an earlier Resolved clause the ongoing GNSO
work on both IGOs and INGOs, and although it is possible that the Board
meant to include INGOs as long as they satisfy the stated criteria in the
Resolution.
These could just be matters of semantics or perception, but for what it's
worth I thought I'd explain the staff thinking behind wording those specific
Whereas clauses in the way we did.

We look forward to discussing the set of revisions and more significantly
the Resolved clauses with you and the rest of the WG later this week.

Thanks and cheers,
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director