ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Drafting Team for New Standing Committee

  • To: <gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Drafting Team for New Standing Committee
  • From: <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:03:45 +0100

All:

Following my enthronement as chair of this Drafting Team ("SC-DT") at the last
council meeting I'd like to call for a first meeting on Tuesday or Wednesday
next week. Glen will send out a Doodle to fix a 1 hour slot and will provide
you with the call details.

Some basic information regarding the establishment of the DT:

*       So far we've the following subscriptions to the DT list:

Ray Fassett
Tatiana Kramtsova
Rudi van Snick
Avri Doria
Philip Sheppard
Mary Wong
Myself

*       The respective council resolution outlines for the DT:

"...to draft a charter for a Standing Committee to track and coordinate
implementation of those OSC, PPSC and work team recommendations already
approved by the Council and adopted, as recommended by the Communications and
Coordination Work Team in its final report of 9 April 2010,,,"

*       Staff made a suggestion for DT start-up:

        "it may be helpful to provide preliminary guidance concerning the
purpose, scope, role, composition, etc., of the Standing Committee. For
example, is it the Council's intention that the Standing Committee track/follow
up on adopted GNSO Improvement recommendations or should its mandate also
encompass operational issues arising from the implementation of the
recommendations?
        The GNSO Council could consider asking the DT, as its first task, to
outline alternative approaches that a Standing Committee could take and submit
them for Council review and discussion along with a recommendation. Following
completion of that task, the Council could then select the most appropriate
model, which would guide the DT's charter development work."

So "SC scoping" could be one major item to be discussed next week. I'll try to
put some frame ideas in writing and share with you in advance in order to fuel
the exchange.

Regarding the timing it would be great to have something presentable to the
GNSO (council) in San Francisco which may be challenging.
Does it make sense to hold a F-to-F-meeting in SF? I've already asked Glen for
a placeholder slot. But it depends on how many of us will be present. Pls. let
me know your physical availability in SF.

Any ideas/comments in advance to the kick-off call next week would be welcome.

Best regards
Wolf-Ulrich