ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] SC starting to do its job.

  • To: Gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] SC starting to do its job.
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:57:48 -0400

Hi,

I was given, as a reason for why the GCOT needed to do some rework on the GCOT
recommendation on proxy and SOI/DOI that had already been approved by council,
that this group had not yet been fully formed and could not, therefore, take on
work.

Since I firmly beleive that once a proposal has been made by a WT, approved by
the OSC or PPSc and approved by the Council that it becomes the task of this
group to review it if there are any problems or issues.  Certainly the
chartering steering committee can send it back to the work team if they do not
approve - and we have seen that happen.  And certainly the Council can send it
back to the steering committee if they d not approve or have questions, and we
have seen that happen.

But once it is approved by the council, I do not think it appropriate to hand
it back to the Work Teams.  And certainly it can't be handed back directly by
council to WTs, but must be handed back by the appropriate steering committee.
Though I would also find it inappropriate to hand it back to the steering
committees, which are supposed to be blinking out of existence taking on
re-work stuff that has already been approved by the council.  As I understand
it, that is the job of this group.  But in any case, to hand work back to the
steering committees would require a council motion, would it not?

So, back to my question, what is preventing this group from beginning to do its
job?  We have members (I assume, might be good to see a list of who is
subscribed).  We have a mandate from the council.  We have a list.  All we seem
to be lacking is the catalyst to start and perhaps a first meeting to elect a
chair (or co-chairs) and get started.  As far as I can tell, the work is
beginning to pile up.

Thanks

a.