ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

RE: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Background on New Issues: Email Voting and Procedural Waivers

  • To: julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx, gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Background on New Issues: Email Voting and Procedural Waivers
  • From: Ron Andruff <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:50:11 -0400

Thank you, Julie.

RA

Ron Andruff
www.lifedotsport.com

-------- Original message --------
From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/31/2013  14:47  (GMT-05:00)
To: gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Background on New Issues: Email Voting and
Procedural Waivers

Dear SCI members,

In our last meeting on 08 October Ron Andruff suggested it would be helpful to
frame the two new issues the GNSO Council has asked the SCI to study  — email
voting and procedural waivers --  in the format of the questions listed in the
charter.  In addition, for future requests as Mikey O'Conner suggested staff
will create an online form that requesters can complete when they have issues
to bring to the SCI.  The format in the charter is:
Which group do you represent? (E.g. Council, WG.)
To which rules or processes do you refer?
Please outline the problems
What specific changes do you propose to address the identified problems?
Do you have any additional suggestion for making the rules/processes easier to
administer?

In particular, the GNSO Council requested that the SCI should take up these two
new issues in its Wrap Up meeting in Durban on 17 July.   Accordingly, I've
reviewed the transcript from that meeting and pulled out the relevant
information from the brief discussion of these topics.  I've put that
information into the form of the questions from the charter.  Please see the
information below and also on the wiki
at: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/16+November+2013.  These issues
are on the agenda for the SCI's next meeting, which will be held face-to-face
in Buenos Aires on Saturday, 16 November from 0700-0845 local time.  The GNSO
Secretariat will send out a notice and reminders for the meeting.

Best Regards,

Julie

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director

Email voting:
Which group do you represent? GNSO Council
To which rules or processes do you refer? Voting
Please outline the problems: The Council does not have a mechanism to conduct
votes outside of a meeting.
What specific changes do you propose to address the identified problems?  The
SCI should consider whether and how the Council could vote outside of a meeting
and under what circumstances.  Quote from Jonathan Robinson in the Council
transcript at the Wrap Up Meeting in Durban on 18 July 2013: "So I wanted - an
issue I wanted us to consider maybe giving to the SCI and then to the group or
to a committee to look at is I’d like to rethink about whether potentially
voting by email or something like that is a possibility? I know we’ve looked at
it on and off over the years.…And if that would help speed things along it
would be great to just look at that issue in just maybe we can’t do it first
time around obviously but for future..."  He raised this issue because the
Council was in the process of scheduling a special meeting in August to conduct
a vote.
Do you have any additional suggestion for making the rules/processes easier to
administer? Voting by email could in some circumstances enable the Council to
avoid having to schedule a special meeting for a vote that has to occur quickly.

Waivers and/or Exceptions to the GNSO Council Operating Procedures
Which group do you represent? GNSO Council
To which rules or processes do you refer? Submitting a motion and possibly
other procedures
Please outline the problems: The Council does not have a mechanism to waive or
invoke an exception to and of its operating procedures.  An example is whether
the deadline for submitting motions could be waived in certain circumstances.
Quote from Jonathan Robinson in the transcript at the Wrap Up Meeting in Durban
on 18 July 2013: "And essentially I wasn’t empowered as chair by our rulebook
to allow that motion to be put on the table even if technically although we
have done it by precedent and prior practice, even if no one objected from the
council I didn’t really - there isn’t really device in the rulebook to allow
that to take place. So I personally I think that’s an area we should look at is
the - when and under what circumstances - formal council procedure can be
bypassed in the event that there is no objection from the council?"
What specific changes do you propose to address the identified problems?  The
SCI should consider whether and how the Council could vote outside of a meeting
and under what circumstances.
Do you have any additional suggestion for making the rules/processes easier to
administer? A waiver mechanism could allow the Council to consider a motion or
document after the deadline of notice/submission to the Council has passed.