ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

Re: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] SCI Letter to GNSO Council Chair Jonathan Robinson

  • To: Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] SCI Letter to GNSO Council Chair Jonathan Robinson
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 22:37:35 +0100

Hi,

Some comments in-line below:

On Jan 24, 2015, at 12:00 AM, Mary Wong <mary.wong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The policy staff supporting the SCI thought it might be helpful to add what
> we hope are clarifying comments to the ongoing discussion, which relate to
> three of the four topics highlighted in the draft letter.
>
> - On #1 (Friendly Amendment to Motions), this is actually one of the
> potential topics for referral that the Council has temporarily put on hold
> following its last meeting on 15 January; see
> https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Action+Items. It is
> therefore a topic already on the Council’s radar as a possible topic for
> referral to the SCI; as such, we wonder if, for this paragraph, rather than
> recommending action the SCI may wish to request that the Council inform it
> (perhaps through the liaison) at the point when the Council takes up
> consideration of the issue again.

Yup. That sounds right. However, if there is a desire to ask the GNSO council
to green-light the SCI starting work on this, I don’t mind.

> - On #3 (Review of WG Consensus Levels), we note from the language of the
> October 2014 GNSO Council resolution (which passed the three latest SCI
> recommendations unanimously) that the Council had expressly agreed to
> consider the SCI’s request for a review of the Consensus Levels, and further
> expressly noted that this exercise may be conducted as part of “a broader
> exercise in reviewing all the GNSO Operating Procedures”: see
> http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201410 – an exercise which the
> current draft letter lists as topic #4 (Review of GNSO Operating Procedures).
>
> - In addition, the SCI has previously discussed (and staff had thought the
> SCI had agreed) that such a broad review should not occur independently of or
> without reference to the ongoing GNSO Review – at a minimum, we assume this
> means that any review to be initiated on the GNSO Operating Procedures would
> not take place till after the type and nature of the final recommendations
> from the GNSO Review are clearer.

That was my understanding as well. I don’t see why we should be bringing this
up at the time being, considering we previously agreed to postpone picking this
up until after the full GNSO review is concluded. I thought that that was where
we left things on this point during last week’s call as well.

> - In light of the above points on #3, #4 and the GNSO Review, we therefore
> respectfully suggest that #3 be reworded to more accurately reflect the GNSO
> Council’s intent as noted above; #4 refer expressly to the GNSO Review rather
> than a “periodic review” by the SCI, and perhaps the final paragraph be
> reworked if these suggestions are adopted.

+1

Thanks.

Amr