ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat from SCI call 07 April 2016 18:00 UTC

  • To: "gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-improvem-impl-sc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat from SCI call 07 April 2016 18:00 UTC
  • From: Michelle DeSmyter <michelle.desmyter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 15:07:38 +0000

Dear All,
Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements
Implementation meeting held on Thursday, 07 April 2016:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-07apr16-en.mp3

On page:http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr

(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:
Amr Elsadr – NCUC - Primary
Anne Aikman-Scalese – IPC – Primary – Vice Chair
Sara Bockey – RrSG - Primary
Lawrence Olawale-Roberts – BC – Alternate
Lori S. Schulman – IPC - Alternate
Rudi Vansnick – NPOC –Primary –Chair
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben – ISPCP – Primary

Apologies:
Karel Douglas – NCSG – Alternate
Angie Graves – BC – Primary

ICANN Staff:
Julie Hedlund
Mary Wong

Michelle DeSmyter

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Michelle DeSmyter

Adobe Chat Transcript 07 April 2016
Michelle DeSmyter: Welcome to the Standing Committee on Improvements
Implementation (SCI) meeting held on 07 April 2016.
  Amr Elsadr:Hi all.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Hi everyone!
  Mary Wong:We had snow for two days up here in New England - a few inches, and
below freezing temps!!!
  Amr Elsadr:I have a tan. :)
  Mary Wong:Ha
  Julie Hedlund:Lucky you Amr :-)  Our DC weather is giving me whiplash ;-)
  Julie Hedlund:Hot then cold then in between.
  Amr Elsadr:Sorry about rubbing my holiday in then Julie. If it helps, I
didn't get to see any dolphins, which are normally around all the time. ;-)
  Julie Hedlund:Sorry no dolphins Amr :-(
  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: Was glad to know you were OK.
  Mary Wong:We also tried to make the language similar to the tone of the rest
of the Operating Procedures.
  Julie Hedlund:And otherwise it is the same as the language proposed by the
Sub Team and accepted by the SCI.
  Rudi Vansnick:@Amr :thanks and indeed it was scary ... if it happened 2 weeks
earlier I was in the airport at that time
  Mary Wong:@Anne, yes - that was the main reason why the team felt that
keeping the current practice was preferable despite the uncertainty.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:THanks Mary.
  Amr Elsadr:If I'm not mistaken, the discussions that took place on this were
subteam discussions, not full committee. Right?
  Rudi Vansnick:@Amr: indeed in the subteam
  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: Yes, but the Sub Team presented its recommendations to
the SCI and these were discussed and agreed on in Marrakech as the first agenda
item.
  Julie Hedlund:With the outcome that the Staff should proceed to draft
language.
  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: Thanks. And I missed that first discussion in Marrakech!!
My bad.
  Lawrence Olawale-Roberts:one of the critical points considered was the fact
that there could be new information critical to the decision to be made that
could nececitate an amendment
  Amr Elsadr:That's a good point Lawrence.
  Amr Elsadr:Not one that I had previously considered.
  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: But sometimes these late amendments have been helpful and
have improved the motion.
  Mary Wong:@Amr, not a comment on the suggestion but on a detail - 48 hours
wouldn't work with the Council's current practice during F2F ICANN Meetings,
when they have the Tuesday night discussion before the Wednesday public meeting.
  Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:@Amr: Isn't your policy meeting also used to discuss
potential amendments to be submitted by your SG?
  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: Not sure how the Tuesday night meeting is a problem. Could
you please clarify?
  Amr Elsadr:@WUK: Actually..., yes. Another point I hadn't considered.
  Mary Wong:@Amr, as in, if SG/Cs discuss the original motion during the day on
Tuesday resulting in a Councilor submitting a proposed amendment on Tuesday
evening
  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: OK..., got it. I can see how my suggestion is really messy.
It's helpful to have this discussion.
  Mary Wong:Not messy - it higlights the difficulty between preserving
flexibility for the sake of Council collaboration versus certainty of a
deadline to avoid delays!
  Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:So you see: it's councilors' risk...
  Amr Elsadr:@WUK: You talking about the board game? :)
  Julie Hedlund:@Wolf-Ulrich, that is an error. We missed it.
  Mary Wong:@Wolf-Ulrich, you are right. We missed correcting that footnote and
only just noticed it too!
  Mary Wong:Apologies.
  Julie Hedlund:Yes, apologies.
  Amr Elsadr:Nice catch.
  Mary Wong:Very, keeps us on our toes!
  Julie Hedlund:@If there are not changes to the text the next step is to send
it out for a consensus call (with the footnote fixed of course).
  Lawrence Olawale-Roberts:great, nice to see this gradually moving on
  Amr Elsadr:Had bad audio. Missed the last part of what Rudi was saying.
  Amr Elsadr:I am not opposed to a consensus call at this time.
  Amr Elsadr:Consensus call on list with a two-week deadline, correct?
  Mary Wong:@Rudi, the consensus call will take place via the email list.
  Mary Wong:Yes, with the usual two week deadline, presumably.
  Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:footnote 1!!
  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: That is correct.
  Mary Wong:With correct footnote :)
  Julie Hedlund:@Wolf-Ulrich: We'll fix it before sending :-)
  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: ;-)
  Amr Elsadr:I would like to take this back to the NCUC during the two week
period. Thanks to everyone.
  Julie Hedlund:All: I have unsynced the document so you may move through it.
  Amr Elsadr:I'm OK with the deadline alternatives in option 2.
  Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:what's option 2? Alternative 2?
  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: Thanks for that. Those considerations also apply to the
time needed to go through scenario 3, then failing to appoint at least one
interim VC, then moving fwd to scenario 4 as a result.
  Rudi Vansnick:somehow i have the feeling considering a period to short to
allow people to have access to all information would probably harm the voting
process for electing the chair
  Mary Wong:@Amr, yes
  Amr Elsadr:@Lawrence: If both houses fail to appoint VCs, the council moves
fwd with scenario 4, right?
  Amr Elsadr:Scenario 2 and 3 are mutually exclusive, aren't they?
  Mary Wong:@Amr, yes
  Lawrence Olawale-Roberts:@ Amr i totally agree
  Rudi Vansnick:what if the vacant VC position is meanwhile filled in by the
nomcom appointee ?
  Lawrence Olawale-Roberts:can we then say that in scenario 3, where there are
no nominations from both houses to conduct an election 14 days after the AGM,
the non voting NCA Ssteps in
  Lawrence Olawale-Roberts:automatically
  Amr Elsadr:Apologies. Was dropped off the call. On AC room audio now.
  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: What was the language you suggested?
  Rudi Vansnick:let's handle it in SCI
  Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:full SCI yes
  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: It was in scenario 3. Replace "which may incldue the
voting NCAs" with "from within its respective House".
  Mary Wong:Sorry, all, I have another call. Thanks for a great discussion!
  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: That will automatically include the NCAs in each house,
but specify that each NCA can only be appointed by his/her house, not the other.
  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: Thanks so much.
  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: Sounds good.
  Lawrence Olawale-Roberts:yes and if possible a longer timeframe
  Julie Hedlund:@Rudi: We will get the call scheduled for 21 April at 1800 UTC.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Okay I think.
  Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:ok
  Lawrence Olawale-Roberts:thanks all