ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvem-impl-sc]

Re: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] FOR REVIEW(2): Chair/Vice-Chair Procedures

  • To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] FOR REVIEW(2): Chair/Vice-Chair Procedures
  • From: Karel Douglas <douglaskarel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 18:11:45 -0400

Dear All,

I like Amr suggested language re: *“Should the vacant House fail to appoint
an interim Vice-Chair within the allotted time period... elected.”*

On another related noted re:

*"...the Designated Interim Vice Chairs will co-chair the Chair election
and conduct Council business until such time as a Chair is conclusively
elected"*

What happens where there is to be 2 Vice Chairs appointed ( as envisioned
as per scenario 2 and 3) but only one (1) Vice Chair is appointed because
one of the House's has delayed in appointing its interim Vice Chair.

In such a case does the *sole* Interim Vice-chair ( who was appointed) have
the authority to *conduct Council busines *in the absence of the other
Vice-Chair?
In other words where the language of the section provides for 2 interim
Vice Chairs but only one has been appointed does that one have any
authority to make decisions especially where there is urgent council
business to be addressed. His/Her decisions may be challenged on
jurisdiction ( being ultra vires the By-laws) as there was no valid quorum
until the 2 Interim Vice Chairs are appointed.

Just some 'Food for Thought'.

regards

Karel DOUGLAS