ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvements]

Re: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Call for ICANN to Kill "Dot-Ex-Ex-Ex" Top-Level Domain at Tomorrow's Vote

  • To: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Call for ICANN to Kill "Dot-Ex-Ex-Ex" Top-Level Domain at Tomorrow's Vote
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:27:38 -0800

Lauren and all,

  Personally I agree with your arguments.  I believe .XXX is as I
have said many times, a legal trap as well a nuisance and does
set a scenario of arguing later against real privacy issues as you
rightly indicate.  I also cannot see .XXX being attractive to
the internet based adult entertainment industry either.  .COM
is far more attractive, and .ORG is likely nearly as attractive,
and there are already many adult entertainment industry
domain names registered in both .ORG and .COM TLD
name space now, and in .COM there has been for several
years at least.

  What I believe ICANN is wanting to do is to segment
content by type in specialized TLD's ergo sTLD name
space's like .XXX ect.  Hence achieving in theory,
a form of Censorship ICANN thinks will be more
readily acceptable by a "Consensus", declared by
ICANN of course, of stakeholders.  Of course
nothing could be further from reality.

  What really embarrasses ICANN is .ORG which is
operated by PIR which is closely associated with
the ISOC whom ICANN considers their right arm,
has a growing number of adult entertainment industry
domain names which makes ICANN look like it is
in or associated with and/or in that sort of industry,
and factually it is.  But .XXX will not change that
one bit.  For instance can you imagine Playboy.com
changing their domain name to Playboy.XXX, or
Hustler.com doing the same?  I can't without a hell
of a legal and political fight, and a very nasty one
as well...

  So, ICANN is in the position of dammed if they
do and dammed if they don't approve .XXX.

Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
   Abraham Lincoln