ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-improvements]

Re: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Call for ICANN to Kill "Dot-Ex-Ex-Ex" Top-Level Domain at Tomorrow's Vote

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Call for ICANN to Kill "Dot-Ex-Ex-Ex" Top-Level Domain at Tomorrow's Vote
  • From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:35:54 -0700

> So, ICANN is in the position of dammed if they
> do and dammed if they don't approve .XXX.

I would respectfully argue that if you're going to be damned in
either case, the ethically correct course would be to choose the
lesser of the evils, that will cause the least collateral damage.
In this situation, that means rejecting .XXX -- approving it merely
lights a fuse leading toward an array of very nasty explosives,
figuratively speaking.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren@xxxxxxxxxx or lauren@xxxxxxxx
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Founder, CIFIP
   - California Initiative For Internet Privacy - http://www.cifip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com