ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: String Similarity Review

  • To: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Neuman <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: String Similarity Review
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:29:15 +0000

Let me clarify what I tried to communicate on our call earlier this week.  I
support a process whereby an exception could be made with a letter of support
or non-objection from the IOC.  We already have precedent for this with regard
to 2-letter country codes at the second level and with governmental names at
the top-level.  In other words, we can recommend that the GNSO approve the GAC
recommendations in a manner that allows for a trademark owner that is not
associated with the IOC to apply for one of the IOC names if they get a letter
of support or non-objection from the IOC.

Chuck