ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: RCRC views regarding protection at the second level

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Shatan, Gregory S." <GShatan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Hughes, Debra Y." <Debra.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] RE: RCRC views regarding protection at the second level
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:26:48 -0500

I believe that that is correct on both counts.

When the proposal was first made, I was concerned about what was being requested at the second level. I knew that 2nd level names such as redcross-tsunami-relief were just the kind of names that were registered to capitalize on disasters, but also knew that "strings contained in" or sound-alikes or spelling permutations were almost impossible to cleanly prohibit. I specifically raised the issue and the response (verbally and then in the Q&A) was that the problem was understood and only exact-matches were being requested.

Alan