ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from International Olympic Committee and Red Cross Names

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from International Olympic Committee and Red Cross Names
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:54:55 +0000

Like Jeff, I don't understand Avri's assessment that "our group does not have
very diverse participation" and would appreciate further explanation.

Because I was one who suggested that Jeff send out a request to our group to
get feedback from our respective groups, let me clarify that I did not envision
a questionnaire.  For us to realistically get feedback for our next call in
less than two weeks, we need the message from Jeff right away.  As Avri states,
a questionnaire should be approved by the group and it likely would take us
until Prague to get even a simple one developed, distributed and receive
answers.

I mainly wanted to make sure that we were all seeking feedback on the same
general issues.  It won't help us much if we each come back with feedback on
different issues.  That doesn't mean that other issues cannot be raised; that
would be fine.  Below are some questions that I personally think feedback would
be helpful on before our next call along with a possible intro statement.

"The GAC has requested that second level names involving certain IOC and RC
names receive protection in the introduction of new gTLDs (insert link to GAC
request).  Note that a PDP will be initiated to look at this issue on a broader
scale going forward but it is not likely that that could impact the first round
of new gTLDs (insert link to motion).  The GNSO drafting team working on this
issue needs to provide the Council a possible response to the GAC request.  To
help us in that regard, please communicate thoughts you have on the following,
which will then be shared on the DT list and in our next call scheduled for 14
June:

1. Should we leave the guidebook as is (i.e., no special protections for IOC
and RC names at the second level in the first round) and let the PDP takes its
course for future rounds?

2. Should we consider possible temporary protections for certain IOC and RC
names in the first round and thereby be at least partially responsive to the
GAC request?  There are ways this could be proposed that are not limited to the
following: 1) Define a list of reserved names; 2) define a list of reserved
names with an exception procedure similar to what is done for 2-character
second level names.  It is understood that either of these approaches would
need a lot more detail but it would be helpful to know if there is support for
pursuing the idea further.

3. Please feel free to provide other ideas for item 2 as well as to raise any
other questions or comments you have on this topic in general."

I encourage members of the DT to modify this however you think best or to
suggest something totally different, but I really think Jeff needs to get
something out to our list no later than tomorrow to give us time to get
feedback.

Chuck