ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Statement from RCRC From Saturday

  • To: gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Statement from RCRC From Saturday
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 23:05:55 -0400

Hi,

But isn't the argument that these are protections that are already codified
under international covenant and national law.  They can't both be already
codified and not codified.  If they aren't already codified then ICANN is being
asked to augment beyond the existing laws.  And while that can be done, it is
no longer being done for the reason that it is already law; and then the reason
becomes like the reason given by IGOs and other organizations.

And if it is already law, then there is very little we need to add, as Chuck
indicates.

avri