ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Red Cross/IOC: List of possible approaches to respond to GAC proposal

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Red Cross/IOC: List of possible approaches to respond to GAC proposal
  • From: Thomas Rickert <rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:52:58 +0200

Jeff, all,
I propose that we discuss Chuck's comments on the phone later, but I would like
to briefly reply to Jeff as he will not be able to make the call.

Am 22.08.2012 um 11:01 schrieb Neuman, Jeff:

> All,
>
> I just wanted to offer my personal (non-chair) feedback on this although I
> will not be able to make the call today.  Options 1 and 5 are not mutually
> exclusive and I believe should be considered as a joint option if the group
> is leaning towards option 1.
>
> Recall option 1 is maintain the status quo (no changes to reserved names
> schedule) and option 5 is to consider possible additional protections as part
> of broader PDP for international organization.  So, in essence, it is
> maintain the status quo for now, but include this in the broader PDP.

I agree that these could or should be combined.

> I do also have some questions on Thomas’ points.
>
> 1.        Thomas states:  “data provided to the DT has shown that abuse
> predominantly takes place with similar strings or where the designations in
> question are combined with more elements and that such abuse cannot be
> prevented by reserving identical strings.”  I actually do not believe this is
> a fair statement nor accurate in the new world of the new gTLDs nor really
> relevant when looking at the issue of reserving the exact matches at the
> second level.  Yes, when asked to provide evidence of abuse, the IOC provided
> evidence of marks that are similar or combined.  But one of the reasons could
> be that all of the actual marks themselves were registered by the IOC in the
> land rushes/Sunrise processes of the other TLDs.  Thus, since they already
> owned the identical names, then there could not by definition, be any current
> abuse.  This doesn’t dilute the argument against adopting options 1 or 5, but
> rather is just an opinion that we should not be issuing any finding about
> where abuse takes place.

We are discussing potential protections for identical matches now. ICANN is
already requiring certain RPMs to be implemented by the new registries. In my
view the risk of identical names being taken by third parties is addressed by
these new mechanisms - at least this risk also exists for many other rights
holders. Even if your assumption were correct that identical matches do not
constitute issues due to the fact that the organizations in question have
registered them, I guess it is fair to put the issue in perspective. The GAC
may (or may not) believe that by following their request, we would solve the
issue of the IOC / RCRC designations being abused. However, I got the
impression that similar strings or combined strings outnumber the identical
strings by far. I deem it necessary to clarify that even if the GNSO did follow
the request, we would not solve the issue, but only address that part of the
issue (identical names) that ICANN has already responded to with new RPMs/DRMs.

> 2.       While the legal case in Germany is interesting, as another lawyer, I
> am not sure I find it to be particularly relevant when considering the exact
> matches in the domain name context.    We, as a group, are not looking at
> whether to add “olympicdiscounts” to the reserved names list, but rather just
> “Olympic.”  I am not familiar with German law, but I would presume that if
> the contact lens dealer changed its name to just “Olympic”, and advertised
> its new name as “Olympic” the case may not have turned out the same.  Nor am
> I so sure that a domain name would be viewed merely as a promotional use vs a
> designation of origin.

I guess it is relevant as we are not talking about olympicdiscounts.TLD, but I
could imagine olympic.discount or other combinations that might be legal to
use.
Without a profound legal analysis, I guess it would not be appropriate to move
forward. Also, the would be many follow-up question, such as why - if any - an
exemption procedure is needed for a use that is permitted by law in the first
place and who controls such process, to name only two.

I hopt that even if you might not agree with my statements that this helped
clarifying my points.

Best,
Thomas

> I agree with the other points – Namely, that:
> 1.        We need to ensure that the marks contained within the GAC list are
> all eligible for protection under the existing rights protection mechanisms
> and dispute processes.
> 2.       We can recommend that registries should be encouraged to provide
> additional protections to these organizations where applicable, including
> maintaining these marks on a reserved list; and
> 3.       A concise summary of the discussions and considerations by the group
> (at both the top and second levels) should be drafted.
>
> Jeffrey J. Neuman
> Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs

Thomas Rickert, Rechtsanwalt
Schollmeyer &  Rickert Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft m.b.H. (i.e. law firm)
Geschäftsführer / CEO: Torsten Schollmeyer, Thomas Rickert
HRB 9262, AG Bonn

Büro / Office Bonn:
Kaiserplatz 7-9, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 0

Büro / Office Frankfurt a.M.:
Savignystraße 43, 60325 Frankfurt, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)69 714 021 - 56

Zentralfax: +49 (0)228 74 898 - 66

mailto: rickert@xxxxxxxxxxx
skype-id: trickert