ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] Chat Transcript from International Olympic Committee and Red Cross Names 12 September 2012

  • To: "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Chat Transcript from International Olympic Committee and Red Cross Names 12 September 2012
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:19:40 -0700

  Nathalie  Peregrine:GNSO RCRC/IOC Drafting Team Meeting Agenda 12 September,
2012
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Jim Bikoff has joined the audio
  Alan Greenberg:I'm having trouble hearing everyone including Nathalie and
operatorl. Will hang up and try again.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:If you would like a dial out, we can set one up, Alan?
  Alan Greenberg:No. waiting for operator now.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:alright
  Alan Greenberg:back now.
  Alan Greenberg:Much better so far.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Avri Doria has joined the call
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Osvaldo Novoa has joined
  Osvaldo Novoa:Hello everyone, I'm trying to establish the telephone call
  Nathalie  Peregrine:do you need a dial out Osvaldo?
  Osvaldo Novoa:No, thank you, I'm waiting for the operator, I'm still on hold
  Osvaldo Novoa:I'm on line now
  Nathalie  Peregrine:perfect
  avri:i'll note that we have already avoided starting the PDP for a month or
so now.
  avri:we are spending our time on this thread instead of getting cracking on
the PDP
  avri:are we going to take them back from the incumbents?
  avri:will the incumbents give back the names if the PDPD decides that they
should be protected?
  avri:I would think they should need to agree to that befoare they make policy
for new gTLDs
  Chuck Gomes:There is no distinction in registry agreements between public
policy and policy.
  avri:that registered and should not have been is decided in the PDP
  Chuck Gomes:I agree that we should start a PDP quickly.
  jeff neuman:@chuck -  I am just relaying information that I heard...
  jeff neuman:As far as the PDP, we are waiting for the final issues report
  jeff neuman:which should come out next week
  avri:Lanre: how can you have a consensus when you do not have a consensus.
one call does not make consensus
  avri:Chuck: and I have given a certain amount of comment.  one thing that
might have been easier was a recommendation to new gTLD that they treate these
names a reserved voluntarily in the meantime.  but for the incumbent to put
this restriction on the now gTLD is problematic.
  avri:... on the new gTLD - we wish those were now gTLDs
  Chuck Gomes:The Council should initiate a PDP and ask that the charter be
developed.  The addition of IOC/RC names to the PDP could be added to the
charter fairly easily.
  avri:the IGOs have been waiting for many years longer.
  avri:i do not see it as a compromise
  avri:it is either unfair or it opens the flood gates and it is PDP that make
this sort of decsion.
  avri:yeah, but calling a moratorrium the onus is only on new gTLDs.
  avri:if it went on the reserved names then it would opne question ot what
actions the incumbents should take.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Please state names for the transcript, thank you!
  avri:well, between the too calls, you may have near consensus, but you
certainly don't have consensus.  And you have at least one strong viewpoint
against.
  Osvaldo Novoa:The ISPCP had a meeting last week and we support J. Scott
compromise
  Kiran Malancharuvil:what about "non registrable?"
  avri:NCSG beleive it can olny be done via a PDP
  avri:i would be shocked if the PDPD wasn't approved.  the issue is the
charter.
  Kiran Malancharuvil:Can we get the document that's on the screen?
  Kiran Malancharuvil:via email?
  Kiran Malancharuvil:chat = kiran
  Kiran Malancharuvil:voice = jim
  Kiran Malancharuvil:but no biggie