ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

[gnso-iocrc-dt] Questions for Consensus Call - Reply due by September 26th

  • To: "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Questions for Consensus Call - Reply due by September 26th
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:11:09 -0400

All,

As discussed on the last call, we now have the following two questions out for
a consensus call so that we put these options out for public comment.  I know
the Board's resolution from last week was sent to the group yesterday and
although I encourage everyone to read that resolution and we will discuss it, I
do not believe that that resolution should sway our path.  Please speak up if
you disagree.  If anything, the Board's resolution may be in line with one of
the recommendations that we, as a group are considering.

1.        The first question is whether we all truly believe that a full PDP is
necessary on the IOC/Red Cross marks.  Most of the group, save Greg S on behalf
of the IPC, did believe that a full pdp on this was necessary.   In a full pdp,
the legal ramifications of protecting these marks at the second level can be
more flushed out and exception processes can be developed (if it is determined
that these marks should indeed be protected).  In addition, many in the group
discussed wanting more research done on whether the marks of these
organizations merited differential treatment from other international
organizations (which is the subject of a soon-to-be released final Issue Report.

2.       The Second consensus call item is a proposal put forth by J. Scott and
endorsed by the RySG which recommends the following (with some wording tweaks
discussed during the last call):

a.       Recommend a moratorium be placed on the registration of exact matches
of the IOC/Red Cross names contained in the GAC recommendation of September __,
2011 (need to put in exact date) at the second level in the first round of new
gTLDs pending results of the PDP covering IGO names, IOC/RC names and other
international organizations.  This would provide a back stop if the PDP does
not finish in time and would also eliminate the argument that the GNSO is just
choosing this approach as a way of avoiding the issue. [Note from the Chair:
This also would be in line with conservative approach contained in the ICANN
Board resolution dated September 14, 2012.]

b.      Communicate to the GAC:

                                             i.            That the GNSO
recommends a PDP be initiated as soon as possible to cover IGO names, IOC/RC
names any other international organizations.

                                           ii.             A rationale for that
position with a particular emphasis on pointing out the things that could be
accomplished via a PDP and that would be difficult to adequately do so
otherwise.

                                          iii.            That the GNSO
welcomes feedback from the GAC as soon as possible on this position.

                                         iv.            That sincere efforts
will be made to expedite the PDP; note that the work that has already been done
on this issue should facilitate the process.

Please make sure that you are able to solicit the feedback necessary to respond
to the Consensus Call by September 26th.  On the GNSO Council call last week we
confirmed that we do have the ability to put this proposal out for public
comment.  In the meantime, I would also like to collect some more of the
rationale for recommendation 1 (recommending the PDP) and also for the
moratorium in recommendation 2. Any help in this regard would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs
46000 Center Oak Plaza, Sterling, VA 20166
Office: +1.571.434.5772  Mobile: +1.202.549.5079  Fax: +1.703.738.7965 /
jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jeff.neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx>  /
www.neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz/>