ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-iocrc-dt]

Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Questions for Consensus Call - Reply due by September 26th

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-iocrc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-iocrc-dt] Questions for Consensus Call - Reply due by September 26th
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 00:30:15 -0400

Jeff, I need to point out that the first question is not what I thought it would be, although I don't believe that there is any difference in the final outcome.

I personally do not believe that a PDP is needed on the focused RC/IOC issue FOR THE FIRST ROUND. If the larger IGO issue had not been raised along with its possible PDP, I believe that this DT may well have addressed the first-round 2nd level concerns (as we tried to do at the first level) without a PDP. That outcome might have been to put the names of a reserved list, or to keep them off, but I do believe that we would have made some recommendation.

I do however believe that a PDP on the RC/IOC issue *is* appropriate to address what will happen in any following rounds (at both 1st and 2nd level).

However, we now do have the possibility of a PDP on the IGO issue with the RC/IOC being a subset. What I said at the meeting was that a "moratorium " (by whatever words) ONLY makes sense if the Council does proceed with the larger PDP, and thus the PDP going forward is a pre-condition of the second part of the recommendation.

Alan