ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Registrant changes near Transfer

  • To: <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Registrant changes near Transfer
  • From: "Matt Mansell" <matt.mansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 19:59:25 +0100

Hi All

I promised (Was requested to do so !)  to send a suggested conclusion to
the list prior to our next call tomorrow. Apologies I'm a little closer
to the wire and do hope it accurately summarises thoughts.

I am endeavouring to make our call, but FYI, on Vacation and my Wife has
conveniently chosen a location 3 miles down a dirt track with no phone
signal and dial-up Internet only!

Rgds, Matt

-------------------

It is concluded that a change of registrant near a change of registrar
is a substantial "indicator" of fraudulent activity. However, it is also
concluded that the event per say is not a special event and is commonly
performed by registrants moving domains between registrars immediately
prior to a transfer.

Go-Daddys solution preventing transfers, where the registrant has
elected to do so, in this scenario is applauded for best practice, but
it would be overly onerous to impose the same model on the registrar
base as a whole. The "indicator" however remains valuable and registrars
should be encouraged to use this information to prevent fraudulent
activity as best practice. Any move to implement policy to force use of
this indicator or provide such information to the receiving registrar
will be documented policy and therefore short lived fraud protection.

Therefore we conclude that whilst we recognise the symptom of this
question as one of several indicators, there is no plausible outcome
that would make any change effective for the purpose.

This email (including attachments) is confidential and intended only for the
use of the addressee(s). If you are not an addressee you should not copy it,
re-transmit it, use it or disclose its contents, but should advise the sender
immediately and delete your copy from your system(s). Do not copy, use or
disclose this email. Mesh Digital Ltd do not accept legal responsibility for
the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Mesh Digital Ltd.