ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Identifcation

  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Identifcation
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 16:33:53 +0000

On 3 May 2010, at 17:24, Erdman, Kevin R. wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Following up on my thoughts about busting the eTRP and addressing the
> identification issue, I find that they are somewhat related.  Here are a
> couple of thoughts to stir up the crowd for tomorrow's call.
>
> Suppose someone hijacked a high volume web site, but did not disrupt the
> traffic.  Say hijacker A hacks into and changes the Registrant from
> BigCompany to individual A, but keeps the traffic running as usual.
> BigCompany never thinks to check the Registrant status, and 65 days after
> individual A hijacks the domain it is transferred to another Registrar.  Then
> at day 70, individual A starts to disrupt traffic to BigCompany's domain, and
> BigCompany tries to invoke eTRP.  The new Registrar and the old Registrar
> would look to individual A as the Registrant and would not recognize
> BigCompany as the Registrant.  True that Registrant could use UDRP to recover
> the domain if trademark rights were involved, but eTRP would not be
> available.

Yes, but that kind of scenario could probably be dealt with in a totally
different manner.

> On the subject of identification, I think that we are focusing on the wrong
> issue.  The issue is who is the true Registrant, not who is the individual or
> corporation listed on the Registrant line.

How can you differentiate between them?

> If in the Registration process
> the Registrar gave the Registrant a token that would uniquely identify the
> holder as the domain owner, then the Registrar would not need to comply with
> any local law on proving identity.  In the situation above, the old
> Registrant could present the token to show that at one time it was the
> Registrant and invoke the eTRP.  Thus, rather than relying on local law to
> provide a way of verifying identity why couldn't we propose that the
> Registrar implement a token system for verifying Registrant status?

I can see problems with that

First off, say I register a domain name for a friend on my a/c with registrar
X. Using your process then you would see me as being the registrant and not my
friend.

If my friend prefers to use registrar Y and moves the domain there (with
updated details at some point) then I'll still have your token ...

Or how about I register a domain and then sell it to someone else. Instead of
transferring the domain to another registrar the new holder moves the domain to
their account with the current registrar.

Also, what happens if an employee registers a domain using their personal
details and then corrects the error (or similar)?

> There might then be an issue of false identification, but that is for a
> different discussion...
> ____________________________
> Kevin R Erdman  T: 317.237.1029 | F: 317.237.8521 | C: 317.289.3934
> Intellectual Property, Internet, and Information Attorney, Registered Patent
> Attorney
> BAKER & DANIELS LLP WWW.BAKERDANIELS.COM 300 N. MERIDIAN STREET, SUITE 2700 |
> INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46204

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection