ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] For your review - draft IRTP Part B Initial Report

  • To: "Erdman,Kevin R." <Kevin.Erdman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] For your review - draft IRTP Part B Initial Report
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:27:19 -0700

Kevin et al:

I share Paul's concern, and there is precedent in the RAA for
demarcating the end of the PTRa's responsibility.  For example, the RAA
describes the various registrar responsibility for names that it
-actively- manages, and the time period it is required to maintain
registrant data after deletion or transfer-away.  So there are some
limits to how long the chain of previous registrars can be for any given
registration.

Also, keeping this window open for too long starts to cloud the issue of
who is ultimately (and contractually) obligated to the registrant:  the
Registrar of Record, or one (or more) PTRa's?  And is the registrant the
-current- registrant, or a previous name holder now claiming hijack?
Doesn't the legal community refer to this as "dead hand" or somesuch?

Finally, we should note that hijackers are typically not interested in
low-profile targets, but instead focus on high traffic / high value
names, the hijacking of which is noted in hours or days.  So I think we
can safely limit the timeframe for any dispute, without diminishing the
value of the mechanism for the vast majority of cases.

The bottom line is that any recommended period longer than 60 days will
probably kill support for this idea at the council level, and all of our
good intentions will not budge the status quo.

Thanks--

J.