ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] For your review - draft IRTP Part B Initial Report

  • To: "Michael Collins" <mc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] For your review - draft IRTP Part B Initial Report
  • From: "Erdman, Kevin R." <Kevin.Erdman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 16:16:46 -0400

Michael and all:

No offence taken on the text size.

On the time period, you are correct that the time period is potentially
unlimited with the current text.  If there is a time limit, the hijacker just
outlasts the time limit to avoid the ETRP.  If we make the time limit 90
days, then gaming the procedure is only an extra 30 days of waiting.  If we
make the time limit 2 years, isn't that the same as forever on the internet?

My comments about the TDRP relate to the situation where a Registrant has
manipulated the system by lying about having "just becoming aware of the
hijacking".  In that case, the lying prior Registrant would have been
successful in getting the domain returned but the reverse transfer would
provide a window in which the defrauded new Registrant could invoke the TDRP
to reverse a fraudulently obtained ETRP transfer.

Kevin R Erdman  T: 317.237.1029 | F: 317.237.8521 | C: 317.289.3934
Intellectual Property, Internet, and Information Attorney, Registered Patent
Attorney
BAKER & DANIELS LLP WWW.BAKERDANIELS.COM <http://www.bakerdaniels.com/>  300
N. MERIDIAN STREET, SUITE 2700 | INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46204