ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Charter Question (C): Change of Registrant

  • To: "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx List" <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Charter Question (C): Change of Registrant
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:42:10 +0000

On 15 Jul 2010, at 00:53, George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think before you can define "Change of Registrant", one would need
> to fully and carefully define what a *registrant* is first. And it's
> not as simple as it might seem, as it would need to capture various
> scenarios.
>
> For example, suppose an individual does a legal name change from:
> "Jane Smith" to "Jane Doe." The registrant has not "changed", but the
> displayed identity has been updated. Same as when a company renames
> itself, or even changes its domicile or does an amalgamation.

Yes - and what's your point?

It's still a change of registrant - an amalgamation or corporate rename means
that all the contracts etc., would have to be updated ..

> A little bit more complicated might be when a domain name is held in
> escrow by an attorney (e.g. if there's a domain name leasing
> arrangement, court process, etc.). If the displayed WHOIS goes from
> "Acme Inc." to "Mary Adams, Esq. in Trust" for 5 months, "Acme Inc."
> might still be the "true registrant." If the prospective buyer
> defaulted, and the displayed WHOIS returns to "Acme Inc.", there
> really hasn't been *2 registrant* changes at all....there's also been
> a single true registrant with full ownership of the domain name (i.e.
> transfer of title never took place to either Mary Adams or the
> prospective buyer).

If the domain is held in escrow or whatever then one would assume that there is
some sort of paper trail for this

Whois is only part of the system - it's just the easiest bit to talk about ..

> With various proxy services out there too, it becomes complicated. And
> there are probably some other scenarios out there that would need to
> be encompassed by a definition.

Irrelevant

The registrar would have the real contact details

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection
ICANN Accredited Registrar