ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Charter Question (C): Change of Registrant

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Charter Question (C): Change of Registrant
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:02:31 +0000

On 14 Jul 2010, at 21:53, James M. Bladel wrote:

> Thanks, Matt.  For the record, I agree that any -defined- COR process
> should be required of registrars.
>
> Also, there is an interesting case to consider when thinking about
> "Company Name" being an optional field.  For example, if I had
> Registrant = James Bladel, and Company Name = BladelCorp, and later
> removed "BladelCorp," did I just change the registrant?  It might seem
> obvious at first glance to say "no," but could this be gamed / abused?
>
> What if I instead changed it to "MattCorp?"

I'd see that as a change of registrant, as the company would be the holder more
than the private individual

In the case of a .tel or a co.uk putting in the company changes the options on
whois etc., significantly
For a co.uk you'd need to go through their change of registrant process to
switch it back
For a .eu it would be a "trade" (though the entire "trade" vs. "transfer"
mechanism in .eu gives most people headaches)

> J.

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection