ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Charter Question (C): Change of Registrant

  • To: <gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Charter Question (C): Change of Registrant
  • From: "Rob Golding" <rob.golding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:30:26 +0100

> In the case of a .tel or a co.uk putting in the company changes the
> options on whois etc., significantly
> For a co.uk you'd need to go through their change of registrant process
> to switch it back

It's important to recognise the difference between *company* and *business*
- in UK terms a "company" can only be called so if it I registered with
Companies House, which makes it a legal entity in it's own right
- so changing a registrant from Joe-Bloggs to Joe-Bloggs-Ltd or
Joe-Bloggs-Ltd to Joe-Blggs-Plc requires a change-of-registrant process

However a firm, sole-trader, partnership, etc are not legal entities in UK
law, and Nominet on .uk domains allow you to alternate between them as it's
not a change of registrar - Joe Bloggs DBA "Bloggs Domains" can become Joe
Bloggs DBA "Bloggs and Sons Domains" - the "legal" entity and therefore
party to the .uk registration agreement remains Joe Bloggs (individual)

Rob