ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Feedback on Charter Question E

  • To: "Diaz, Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "rob.golding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rob.golding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Feedback on Charter Question E
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 01:36:05 -0700

Dear All,

if a domain is "in an EPP consistent lock status", then it is not possible to
initiate a domain transfer, and therefore, it’s not possible to deny such a
transfer. Based on that, we suggested that the substance of denial reason #7
(that registrars have to provide a reasonable means for registrants to request
the removal of any lock status) should be discussed elsewhere in the policy and
not included in the list of reasons why it's OK for a registrar to deny a
pending transfer request. (Of course, we might have misunderstood how the
process works, and if so, please feel free to clarify or correct).

In addition, in relation to the discussions on Charter Question C and denial
reason #6, it might be beneficial to expand and clarify this language to tailor
it more to explicitly address registrar-specific (i.e. non-EPP) locks in order
to make it clear(er) that the registrant must give some sort of informed opt-in
express consent to having such a lock applied, and the registrant must be able
to have the lock removed upon reasonable notice and authentication. This denial
reason could potentially be split into two reasons of registrant objection for
denial -- (1) express objection to a particular transfer, and (2) a general
indefinite request to deny all transfer requests. A proposed modification might
be as follows:

"6. Express objection to the transfer from the Transfer Contact. Such objection
could take the form of a specific request made by the registrant to deny a
particular pending transfer request, or a general request made by the
registrant that the registrar temporarily or indefinitely deny all transfer
requests, but in either case the request from the registrant must be based on
the informed consent of the registrant given on an opt-in basis, and the
registrar must make available a reasonable and secure means for the registrant
to revoke the request on a timely basis, unilaterally and without conditions."

With best regards,

Marika