ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Feedback on Charter Question E

  • To: <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Feedback on Charter Question E
  • From: "Diaz, Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:47:23 -0400

I do not support Staff's proposed amendment to Denial Reason #6 (below).
This is exactly the kind of "unintended consequence" that we need to
guard against.  If registrars were now only allowed to lock a domain
once "the informed consent of the registrant [had been] given on an
opt-in basis," it's quite likely that some domain holders will fail to
do so and those names will be more vulnerable to hijacking or theft.

This WG should be focused on clarifying the Transfer Policy's terms to
have a lock REMOVED, not raising the bar against providing basic
security in the first place.

Sincerely, P