ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Double secret lock?

  • To: "Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx List" <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Double secret lock?
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 06:59:49 -0500

here's a story that describes Enom's "auction lock" -- it would be interesting
to understand this better i think, given our discussion on locks.

http://www.elliotsblog.com/enom-names-won-on-namejet-subject-to-45-day-auction-lock-1522

eNom Names Won on NameJet Subject to 45 Day Auction Lock

By Elliot Silver

As a domain seller, the quicker I can move inventory, (usually) the better.
When I win an auction at NameJet, I try to find an end user or domain investor
buyer as quickly as possible. I’ve never encountered an issue with this until
last week.

I recently bought a domain name at auction on Namejet. I was informed the
domain name would be moved to my eNom account, and I quickly scouted out
buyers. I reached a deal to sell the domain name a few days later, and upon
trying to push the name to another account, I learned that there was an
“auction lock” on the domain name.

I inquired about the lock, and at first, technical support wasn’t very helpful.
I asked why I could transfer a name I bought on NameJet that was registered at
Network Solutions a few weeks prior, and the person tried to explain that it
had something to do with pre-release and pending delete status differences,
although I learned that explanation was incorrect.

According to Laurie Krick from Enom/NameJet, all domain names that end up at
eNom will have a 45 day lock on them. Owners can change the DNS to use the
domain names within this period of time, but they can’t be pushed to another
account or transferred out of eNom. Fortunately, the company was able to help
me with this situation, but it was a one time exception to the rule.

This lock is something I did not know about, but I will take it into
consideration when bidding on NameJet domain names going forward, as it adds 45
days to when I can flip names.

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com