ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Comment on sub group discussion

  • To: <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] Comment on sub group discussion
  • From: "Erdman, Kevin R." <Kevin.Erdman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:07:57 -0500

All who were on the subgroup call (and anyone else interested)-One comment
that many made during the sub group session was that when someone's web site
is hijacked, they know about it very quickly.

I wanted to bring up the following scenario for a hijacking:

Let's say that I am a hijacker, and I just obtained control over the domain
reallybigwebsite.com

Let's say I know about this 60 day window as a way to prevent me from
securing my hijacked domain with the registrar mobster.com (mobster.com is
located in a lawless jurisdiction and does not cooperate on returns).

What I do is keep the traffic flowing to reallybigwebsite.com for at least
the 60 day period.  The proprietors of reallybigwebsite.com do not realize
that I have control of the domain.

Around day 70 or so of my control, I transfer the domain to mobster.com and
start wrecking havoc with the traffic to reallybigwebsite.com.  In this case,
the proprietor of the web site did not immediately recognize the loss of
control of the domain, but needs the rapid return mechanism.

Maybe this is an unlikely scenario, but would be one way to work around the
urgent return mechanism.

Also, the conference organizer contacted me after the call to explain that
the mute/unmute works better over traditional lines rather than google's voip
connection.  My apologies for interrupting the smooth flow of good
discussion.

___________________________

Kevin R Erdman  T: 317.237.1029 | F: 317.237.8521 | C: 317.289.3934
Intellectual Property, Internet, and Information Attorney, Registered Patent
Attorney
BAKER & DANIELS LLP WWW.BAKERDANIELS.COM <http://www.bakerdaniels.com/>  300
N. MERIDIAN STREET, SUITE 2700 | INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46204

ATTENTION:

To ensure compliance with applicable Internal Revenue Service Regulations,
we inform you that any tax advice contained in this electronic message was
not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code.

This message and all its attachments are PRIVATE and may contain
information that is CONFIDENTIAL and PRIVILEGED.

If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply
e-mail and delete the message immediately.