ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09] IRTP - Recommendations #3 & #4

  • To: <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] IRTP - Recommendations #3 & #4
  • From: "Berry Cobb" <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:10:42 -0800

Team,

Recommendation #3:

I really have a hard time understanding the change from Unanimous Consensus
to Rough Consensus.  What is the fear of sending a clear message that Thick
WHOIS is the root of several IRTP issues in addition to issues external of
IRTP?  As stated in the latest draft, we are not recommending that Thick
WHOIS be implemented, but we are recommending that a PDP be created to
review it.

Unless I am mistaken, we ALL agree that "In the Context of IRTP," Thick
WHOIS eliminates some of the process issues around the transfer of domains.
If we have Unanimous Consensus on this, then how can we not have Unanimous
Consensus on recommending a PDP to review it?  Anything less only waters
down the recommendation, which will be swept under the rug, and three years
from now we have to address it again.

On a somewhat separate topic, it is new news to me that each Registrar can
choose what information to reveal on WHOIS.  Why is this?  This should be a
defined standard across all gTLDs.  Unless I am missing something, a
standard of this sort should not affect differentiation in the market place.

Recommendation #4:

Now having started the swimlane exercise of IRTP, I am beginning to side
with Simonetta's revision to Recommendation #4.  Change of Control seems to
be the foundation for IRTP.  If it changes, it will impact the IRTP process.
In my view when reviewing the IRTP swimlane I sent out today, it quickly
obvious that the process becomes more complicated when an additional role
"Admin Contact" can invoke/approve the transfer.  Can anyone point me to how
all four WHOIS roles were defined in the creation of Thick WHOIS?

Berry Cobb

Infinity Portals LLC

berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://infinityportals.com