ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-b-jun09]

RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] IRTP - Recommendations #3 & #4

  • To: "Berry Cobb" <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-irtp-b-jun09@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-b-jun09] IRTP - Recommendations #3 & #4
  • From: "Diaz, Paul" <pdiaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:45:15 -0500

Berry & Team,

Re: Recommendation 3, "unanimity" is a rare occurrence on ICANN-related issues,
probably because nothing ICANN-related is ever simple or discrete (even if we
want it to be).

While the benefits of thick WHOIS to facilitate transfer requests has been
demonstrated, I (for one) am NOT willing to characterize the WG's position as
"Unanimous Consensus."  In my view, the subtlety of a transfer-focused
recommendation versus a general policy statement (i.e. all gTLDs must be thick)
will be lost once this goes out to the broader community.  I do not believe it
is this WG's role or mandate to color a future/potential PDP on mandatory thick
WHOIS gTLD registries.  I believe that a "unanimous consensus" recommendation
likely will be taken out of context as a "clear call to action" by those who
support mandatory thick WHOIS for all gTLDs.  I have significant concerns about
the latter (which I expect will be aired/addressed in the future PDP) and am
unwilling to risk my fears coming to pass by supporting a "unanimous consent"
position in this WG.

Rough Consensus is more than enough from this WG to give advocates of mandatory
thick WHOIS gTLDs what they need to request a PDP on the issue.  I'm confident
that if certain Constituencies and/or Stakeholder Groups feel strongly about
it, their Councilors will act on the issue (and not allow it to be swept under
the rug).

Regards, P