ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08]

RE: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] Status overview and Cairo presentation for your review

  • To: "'Marika Konings'" <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08@xxxxxxxxx'" <gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] Status overview and Cairo presentation for your review
  • From: "Michael Collins" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:19:40 -0400

Hi,

Sorry to have missed another meeting. I have been ill this week.

I am concerned about this proposal in Registrant vs. Admin contact approval

    It could be considered to make it a requirement, instead of

308 optional, that the Registrar of Record confirms the transfer with the
Registrant (instead of

309 the admin contact). This would add another approval into the process but
it would

310 resolve the problem of Registrant e-mail not being publically available
and it would

311 resolve the problem of domain transfers being authorized by the admin
contact without

312 the Registrant's consent.

One of the largest changes policy when the current IRTP went into effect was
to move the responsibility of confirming inter-registrar transfers from
registrar of record to the gaining registrar. The reason was that there were
a number of registrars that simply would not perform the confirmation.
Either they would not send an email to the registrant or admin contact or
they would ignore the approval confirmation. This resulted in registrar of
record effectively blocking all transfers out. Of course this happened at a
time, registrars were getting away with anything and not seeing their
accreditation threatened.

I have some concern about moving the responsibility to confirm
inter-registrar transfers back to the registrar of record with my
recollection of the past problems. If we decide to do this, we need to have
in place a means to confirm that registrars are abiding by policy and
allowing  registrants to approve transfers out.

Best regards,

Michael Collins

Executive Director

 <http://www.internetcommerce.org/> Internet Commerce Association