ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

RE: [gnso-irtpc] For your review - Recommendation Charter Question C

  • To: Bob Mountain <bmountain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, IRTPC Working Group <gnso-irtpc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-irtpc] For your review - Recommendation Charter Question C
  • From: "Knight, Barbara" <BKnight@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:56:00 +0000

Sorry for the lateness in sending along feedback from the RySG, specifically
those registries that are most impacted, on this item.  I like the changes that
Bob made as I think that it does provide more flexibility for the impacted
registrars but I also want to pass along alternative language that Paul Dias
has proposed.  It is as follows:

The WG recommends that all gTLD Registry Operators be required to publish the
Registrar of Record's IANA ID in the TLD's thick WHOIS.  Existing gTLD Registry
operators that currently use prorprietary IDs can continue to do so, but they
must also publish the Registrar of Record's IANA ID.

It narrows the scope of what the WG is suggesting to address the specific issue
at hand and it allows those registries that support TLDs for which an IANA ID
may not be necessary (i.e. some country code or other TLDs that do not require
a registrar to be ICANN accredited) to continue to utilize their proprietary
IDs to identify registrars and manage their transactions.  I am not sure that
revisiting the use of proprietary IDs in 24 months will find that registries
are using them any differently so I don't know that it makes sense for us
revisit this option then.

Barbara Knight
Director of Policy

VerisignInc.com<http://www.verisigninc.com/>

This message (including any attachments) is  intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that
is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us
immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii)

[Verisign(tm)]