ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpc]

Re: [gnso-irtpc] Change of Registrant: Our practices

  • To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpc] Change of Registrant: Our practices
  • From: "\"Michele Neylon :: Blacknight\"" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:46:29 +0000

On 9 Aug 2012, at 02:01, James M. Bladel <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Team:
>
> As a follow up to our discussions on Tuesday's call, here are my notes from
> visiting with our Domain Services team:
>
> (1)  Regarding the interplay between Registrant Name and Registrant
> Organization
> Our team notes that when there is data in the "Organization" field, then that
> entity is considered the Registrant, while the "Name" fields are used to
> designate a contact within the organization.  In the event that there is a
> dispute or confusion between these two, the person claiming to represent the
> Organization (with appropriate documentation, identification,etc.) can
> over-rule the individual listed in the "Name' fields.
>
> (2)  Regarding our treatment of minor updates
> While we try to make our logic as intelligent as possible, it can be tripped
> by routine changes, such as changing "James" to "Jim" or "Incorporated" to
> "Inc."  As a fall back measure, we always remove any locks that were
> triggered by changes of this sort.
>
> (3)  Frequency of Routine Changes vs. Material Changes
> It is difficult to compare, but Routine changes are frequent enough to mean
> that we simply remove any associated locks upon request.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks--
>
> J.

James

Thanks for sharing.

Our basic modus operandi works at the account level.

When someone signs up with us (or later) they have the choice to choose either
a personal account or a business account.

If they choose a business account then we consider the account and anything
associated with it to belong to the business or organisation.

There is an added level of complication in that there is rather large
difference between a "business" and a limited company. In Ireland you can
register a "business name" with the companies' office, while in the UK you
don't need to.

We've had some interesting issues where the organisation / business name
supplied was truncated and the company in question had splintered, but
ultimately we rely on the data in the Irish companies' office database.

Of course this makes for a lot of "fun" if the account is setup by an
individual acting for a business .. Ultimately we have to handle issues on a
case by case basis when there are disputes.

Regards

Michele
--
Mr Michele Neylon