ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtpd]

Re: [gnso-irtpd] Off the cuff draft:

  • To: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-irtpd] Off the cuff draft:
  • From: Holly Raiche <h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:53:49 +1100

And the point I was making this morning (my time) is that if that domain name
is then provided to a new registrant (who would have no way of knowing that it
was the subject of a wrongful transfer) puts his/her money down and spends
further money promoting that name, then there are two registrants who lose -
the original (and proper) owner and the new owner.  What a court may do (and
this is basic equitable doctrine stuff - coming out of England into the common
law world and probably further) is talk about the 'innocent third party' who
put money down in good faith for something - with compensation for the loser.

I'm not saying what is right or wrong here.  In fact, there are two competing
'right' claims. It's just that the ICANN solution seems to be to give the name
back to the original, rightful registrant.  It is not clear whether a court
would make the opposite call, or say that ICANN rules should prevail.

No that is not an answer - it is an issue that does need some thinking through

Holly