ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-lockdomainname-dt]

Re: [gnso-lockdomainname-dt] RE: Charter Drafting Team: Latest Revisions

  • To: "Schneller, Matt" <Matt.Schneller@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-lockdomainname-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-lockdomainname-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-lockdomainname-dt] RE: Charter Drafting Team: Latest Revisions
  • From: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:33:15 +0000

Thanks Matt. I think that first of all we need to clarify that these are just
indicative recommendations that the WG may or may not address. My main worry
with the way these recommendations are drafted and presented is that they sort
of direct the WG to consider just these. I think that the word 'whether' can be
added before all of them – this way leave it to the discretion of the WG to
consider them or not.

Matt's wording of item 5 is much better; a couple of observations. There is not
an issue as to whether the registrant information for a domain name can be
changed; I am pretty sure it can. The question is whether it should. And in
various jurisdictions, this is not straightforward. For instance in Europe,
this is not as easy or it doesn't come with possible legal implications. Given
Matt's explanation, however, on this issue I would propose the wording of item
5 to be:

Whether, once a domain name is 'locked' pursuant to a UDRP proceeding, the
registrant information for that domain name be changed or modified.

Personally, I still think item 1 should be omitted. I think it is not for us to
even suggest the mandate of the WG to be to propose such a list – we are
opening a Pandora's Box here and we are directing the WG to recommend something
that can create various potential problems.

And, I would like to add an item 7:

Whether the standard of the 'locking' of a domain name subject to UDRP should
be raised and not be based on a simple request by the complainant.

Speak to you all soon.

KK