ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-lockpdp-wg]

[gnso-lockpdp-wg] MP3 / Locking of a Domain Name Subject to UDRP Proceedings / 02 August 2012 at 14:00 UTC

  • To: LOCK PDP WG <Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] MP3 / Locking of a Domain Name Subject to UDRP Proceedings / 02 August 2012 at 14:00 UTC
  • From: Gisella Gruber <Gisella.Gruber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 09:25:11 -0700

DearAll,

Please find the MP3 recording & Chat Transcript of the Locking of a Domain Name
Subject toUDRP Proceedings Drafting Team teleconference held on Thursday 02
August 2012
at 1400 UTC at:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-locking-domain-name-20120802-en.mp3<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-locking-domain-name-20120719-en.mp3>

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jul>aug

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO
Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Randy Ferguson, IPC
Alan Greenberg, ALAC (Vice-Chair)
Luc Seufer, RrSG
Laurie Anderson, RrSG
Matt Schneller - IPC
Celia Lerman Friedman, CBUC
Hago Dafalla, NCUC
Brian Beckham, WIPO
Michele Neylon, RrSG (Chair)
Lisa Garono, IPC
Kristine Dorrain, NAF
David Maher, RySG
David Roache-Turner, WIPO
Baudoin Schombe, At-Large
Faisal Shah, individual

Apologies:
Gabriela Szlak, CBUC
Juan Manuel Rojas, At-Large
Volker Greimann, RrSG
Jonathan D. Tenenbaum, RrSG

Staff Support:
Margie Milam
Berry Cobb
Gisella Gruber

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Gisella

GNSO Secretariat

**********************
Adobe Connect Chat transcript:

  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the Locking of a Domain Name Subject to UDRP
Proceedings  working group on 02 August 2012 at 1400 UTC
  Michele Neylon:Hoe gaan dit bokkie?
  Michele Neylon:/me whistles innocently
  Gisella Gruber-White:Dit gaan baie goed et met jou? lank tyd geen bokkie
gehoor nie :-)
  Gisella Gruber-White:that was lang
  Gisella Gruber-White:Apologies from Juan Manuel Rojas & Gabriela Szlak
  Gisella Gruber-White:Did you receive any?
  Michele Neylon:Only those two
  Michele Neylon:I now have ANOTHER South African working for me
  Michele Neylon:which makes 2
  Gisella Gruber-White:They are all over ;-)
  Michele Neylon:like a swarm of ...
  Gisella Gruber-White:mmhhh they must be good if you are employing them!
  Michele Neylon:Dit gaan baie goed, dankie. Besig.
  Michele Neylon:(he's feeding me text :) )
  Gisella Gruber-White:AND you are learning Afrikaans - will be a walk in the
park after Dutch
  Michele Neylon:nah
  Michele Neylon:I'd have to meet a nice South African girl to get the
motivation for that
  Michele Neylon:http://forum.icann.org/lists/udrp-locking/msg00000.html
  Alan Greenberg:Related to what may be an Irishism, Michele, what does "on
foot" mean (with regard to "sometimes the complainants). It is our experience
that many issues arise in relation to the on-going use of a domain on foot of a
UDRP")?
  Gisella Gruber-White:Luc Seufer has joined the call
  Luc Seufer:I was afraid the call would be held in Dutch :-)
  Gisella Gruber-White:Randy Ferguson has joined the call
  Gisella Gruber-White:David Roache-Turner has joined the call
  Michele Neylon:Matt - I see you
  Gisella Gruber-White:Bauduoin Schombe has joined the call but his line has
been muted as verey noisy
  Gisella Gruber-White:Sheri Falco has joined the AC room
  Gisella Gruber-White:Sheri has joined the audio bridge as well
  Sheri Falco:Thanks - for the resending of the call info
  Gisella Gruber-White:My pleasure
  Gisella Gruber-White:Luc disconnected
  Gisella Gruber-White:Luc is back
  Gisella Gruber-White:David Maher has joined the AC room
  Gisella Gruber-White:as well as the audio bride
  Berry Cobb:So the question becomes, for those domains where a lock is
requested, what is primary notification method?  Complaintant or UDRP Provider?
 Or is this irrelevant?
  Michele Neylon:It's relevant (I think)
  Berry Cobb:...and where the provider has to chase it down.
  Kristine Dorrain:Michele:  I would add that while it's "clear" that the
domain name should be locked at LEAST as early as the Provider notifies the
Registrar, but that codifying that in our recommendtion will be helpful for the
new or reluctant registrars who are NOT currently doing so
  Matt Schneller:To the providers: I wonder if the new e-filing system would
allow providers to somehow automatically send a confirmation e-mail (akin to
the filing receipt that NAF's online filing system sends out immediately upon
e-filing) to the registrant and registrar e-mail address(es) submitted by the
complainant, to provide an "independent verification" basically immediately
after filing.  that would provide something from the provider in advance of the
notice of commencement.
  Kristine Dorrain:From our perspective, that would be easy (but it would only
work for e-filers, as you note)
  Luc Seufer:@ Kristine upon notification of the provider I agree, that's the
current policy. However upon notification of the complainant, this is
unacceptable for us as a registrar. We won't accept such liability and
workload. We are not equipped to prejudge on the legitimacy of a complaint.
  Matt Schneller:Luc: it's not a judgment of the validity, just a temporary
acknowledgement of the mere fact of filing
  Kristine Dorrain:@Luc  I understand.  While as a Provider, the early lock
will make our job easier, I do note that there is possibly some legal risk for
Registrars who do so.
  Laurie Anderson:Agreed Matt, it's simply a reasonable assumption of a dispute.
  Matt Schneller:Hey Alan - it would be a smooth system, but the providers
don't have the technical means or access to records to implement a lock
themselves
  Laurie Anderson:we typically receive verification requests on these within a
day or two
  Kristine Dorrain:We'd be willing to discuss what it would take for us get
that technology...
  Kristine Dorrain:I have to bail for another call.  I'll catch up with you all
in two weeks.
  Berry Cobb:got it.
  Gisella Gruber-White:@ Michele - this will be done after the call
  Matt Schneller:See you in two weeks.  Thanks Michele and everyone
  Gisella Gruber-White:and then attached to attendance as well
  Gisella Gruber-White:Good bye and speak again on 16th August at 1400 UTC
  Laurie Anderson:bye all!