ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-lockpdp-wg]

[gnso-lockpdp-wg] MP3 Locking of a Domain Name subject to URDP proceedings - Thursday 29 November at 15:00 UTC

  • To: "gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] MP3 Locking of a Domain Name subject to URDP proceedings - Thursday 29 November at 15:00 UTC
  • From: Julia Charvolen <julia.charvolen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:11:57 -0800

Dear all,

The next Locking of a Domain Name subject to URDP proceedings teleconference is
scheduled for Thursday 6 December at 15:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording of the Locking of a Domain Name subject to URDP
proceedings teleconference held on  Thursday 29 November 2012  at 15:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-locking-domain-name-20121129-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#sep>nov

Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Laurie Anderson – RrSG

Kristine Dorrain - NAF

Randy Ferguson – IPC

Lisa Garono - IPC

Alan Greenberg - ALAC (Vice-Chair)

Volker Greimann – RrSG

Celia Lerman - CBUC

Michele Neylon – RrSG

David Roache-Turner - WIPO

Juan Manuel Rojas – ALAC

Luc Seufer – RrSG

Matt Schneller - IPC

Faisal Shah - Individual

Apologies:

Gabriela Szlak - CBUC

David Maher - RySG

Staff:

Marika Konings

Berry Cobb

Julia Charvolen

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julia Charvolen

For GNSO Secretariat

 Adobe Connect Chat transcript:

Marika Konings:Welcome to the UDRP Domain Name Lock WG Meeting of 29 November
2012
  Michele Neylon:http://christmascracker.biz/
  Juan Manuel Rojas:Good Morning Everyone!
  Marika Konings:IHG = Intercontinental Hotel Groups
  Marika Konings:Luc Seufer has joined the call
  Marika Konings:Randy Ferguson has joined the call
  Luc Seufer:Thank you Alan!
  Laurie Anderson:Of all the complaints we’ve received in the last 6 years,
we’ve had 1 complaint that was fake.  We will lock based on a complaint filed
with the provider that we are copied on. We do not wait for the verification or
commencement.
  Kristine Dorrain:I think that any recommendation we come up with should
PERMIT any registrar who WANTS to exceed requirements, like GoDaddy does, to
continue to do so.
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):how long does it usually take you to implement the
lock from receipt laurie?
  Laurie Anderson:Agreed Kristine
  Laurie Anderson:within 24 hrs David
  Luc Seufer:Registrars are not all equiped to do so.
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):agree with kristine
  Laurie Anderson:usually within 12
  Kristine Dorrain:We're in the same time zone as GoDaddy and we hear back in a
couple hours in many cases.  :)
  Volker Greimann:including weekends, nights and holidays, Laurie
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):good target
  Volker Greimann:?
  Laurie Anderson:it's just better than the nightmare of trying to track down a
name that's traferred to a registrar that will not comply...which has happened.
  Matt Schneller:Luc, what about 1 business day?
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):fully agree
  Juan Manuel Rojas:sorry, My call was down.
  Laurie Anderson:generally, Volker, we receive notiifcations early in the day.
Not on weekends/holidays but we generally do not receive those on those days
  Laurie Anderson:1 business day is reasonable
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):with laurie - cyberflight is a nightmare in those
cases where it occurss
  Kristine Dorrain:I'm already on the record as agreeing with the "number of
business days" approach
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):agree 1 business day is reasonable also
  Volker Greimann:WIPO and NAF are good that way.
  Luc Seufer:as long as business day means the registrar's business day (not
only US°
  Volker Greimann:not just in your ear, michele
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):business days(s) are fair enough
  Juan Manuel Rojas:I need re-join me to the call. I  am out
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):we are observing around 25% of WIPO cases settling
between the parties prior to panel appointment in effect requiring DN to be
unlocked to implement
  Kristine Dorrain:Ditto, we see slightly fewer, but still maybe 19%
  Luc Seufer:@David that's somewaht the same percentage we have
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):data lining up, important that we account for this
in any receomndations we make - needs to be as simple as possible for all
stakeholers
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):it may be as simple as describing the 'standard
procedure' in simple, easy to use terms;  makes sense to build where we can on
existing practice
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):consider codirying existing practice?
  Laurie Anderson:Agreed David. Best practices is a great idea.
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):x2
  Volker Greimann:agree
  Celia Lerman:+1
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):its also about the registrars have procedures that
plug into these, so we need best practice on both sides
  Kristine Dorrain:+1
  Luc Seufer:David, Krisitine your turn to say no to a 24/7 service
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):re 82, its the gap between the date on which the
complain is filed and confirmed as lock that matters, not commencement
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):volker has it right
  Kristine Dorrain:Agree with David.
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):its not notice of commencement, its notice of
pendency - commencement is formal notification to the respondent and
commencement of response period;  locky typically happens during procedural
compliance well before formal commencement
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):in respone to the provider registrar verification
procedure or the filing of the complaint (if eg godaddy)
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):the UDRP preclude registrant transfer as from
pendency of the UDRP proceeding
  Luc Seufer:so WG response: "superseded" and we move on?
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):pendency and commencement need to be
distinguished, including for reasons kristine mentioned
  Kristine Dorrain:yay!!!!
  Matt Schneller:Complainants still get "notices of deficiency" when pre-lock
changes are made, so I'm not sure it's superceded.  (And yes, pendency)
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):tofu
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):sily alan
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):silky
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):silky tofu makes for best results ;)
  Alan Greenberg:That's what I use for many dishes, but hard to call it "meaty".
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):both high protein anyway
  Matt Schneller:Marika, what are the mechanics at ICANN to update a UDRP Rule?
  Michele Neylon:Matt - a rule in what sense?
  Michele Neylon:Matt - a PDP anyway as it's policy
  Michele Neylon:I like the term "freeze"
  Michele Neylon:#justsaying
  Juan Manuel Rojas:Why Lock is made in 24 hours and unlock in 10 days? It is
not make sense...
  Kristine Dorrain:The 10 days (if complainant prevails) gives the Respondent a
chance to sue.
  Matt Schneller:Is the voting on a PDP proposal an up or down vote, or is the
proposal open for amendments (e.g. by the GNSO)
  Luc Seufer:Wingardium Leviosa domainum! doesn't work? Damn you Mrs Rowling
  Kristine Dorrain:I vote we include Luc's comment inthe best practices
document.  :)
  Luc Seufer:;-
  Celia Lerman:I believe UDRP reform though has been postponed until after new
gTLDs are implemented
  Volker Greimann:I like that power of mine
  Volker Greimann:do not take it away
  Kristine Dorrain:thanks Michele and all!
  Matt Schneller:Thanks for drafting this, Marika
  Laurie Anderson:Thanks all!
  Volker Greimann:thank you
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):ps - 10 businesss days to implementation if no
commenced court proceedings (4k), 15 business days before registrant can
transfer without breach of UDRP 8.
  David Roache-Turner (WIPO):thanks all aanyway