ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-lockpdp-wg]

[gnso-lockpdp-wg] MP3 Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP proceedings teleconference - Thursday 13 June 2013

  • To: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] MP3 Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP proceedings teleconference - Thursday 13 June 2013
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:14:51 -0700

Dear All,

The next Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP proceedings teleconference is
 scheduled for Thursday 20 June at 1400 UTC.

Please find the MP3 recording of the Locking of a Domain Name subject to UDRP
proceedings teleconference held on Thursday 13 June 2013 at 14:00 UTC.

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-locking-domain-name-20130613-en.mp3

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jun

Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Kristine Dorrain - NAF

Alan Greenberg - ALAC (Vice Chair)

Matt Schneller - IPC
Michele Neylon - RrSG (Chair)
David Roache-Turner - WIPO
Ty Gray - WIPO

Hago Dafalla - NCUC

Laurie Anderson - RrSG

David Maher - RySG
Gabriella Szlak - CBUC
Lisa Garono - IPC

Apologies : none

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Lars Hoffman
Berry Cobb
Nathalie Peregrine

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine

For GNSO Secretariat

 Adobe Chat transcript for 13 June:

Marika Konings:Welcome to the UDRP Domain Name Lock WG Meeting of 13 June 2013

  Hago Dafalla:hi all

  Michele Neylon:Will join at top of the hour - on another call

  Matt Schneller:he's got his new Call of Duty username locked down

  Michele Neylon:lol

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Laurie Anderson and David Maher have joined the call

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Gabriela Szlak has also joined

  Gabriela Szlak:Thanks Nathalie

  Nathalie  Peregrine:David Roache Turner has also joined

  Marika Konings:We actually have 30 people listed as members of the WG

  Marika Konings:but only 15 or so show up regularly for calls

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):option 3) of option b) should probably
be modified to indicate soley for pruposes of transferring to the COmplainant
with whom the settlement has been reached

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):+1 laurie

  Kristine Dorrain:+1 David and Laurie

  Marika Konings:Shouldn't it also include the option that the name stays with
the respondent as part of the settlement?

  Kristine Dorrain:Yes, Marika.

  Gabriela Szlak:Yes

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):@laurie that would also work for us
(change in control)

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Although just to note, that when we say
transfer in the UDRP provider contextm we are usually referring to change in
registrant (rather than as between registrars)

  Matt Schneller:should we just say that we are "changing the registrant to the
Complainant"?  "Control" could be a little more vague - the registrant may not
have to change so long as effective control was ceded to the Complainant

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Matt, that could be clearer still

  Matt Schneller:along those lines, in the third new bullet point, maybe we say
"Transfer of registrars is not allowed..."

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Im sorry, I didn't vote, but if I would
vote, I would  vote for option B

  Marika Konings:Only 3 registrars responded to the poll

  Gabriela Szlak:Can the providers explain why they prefer B instead of A?

  Matt Schneller:for what it's worth, I voted for (a) because it doesn't
provide for automatic dismissal if the settlement isn't implemented (ie by the
registrar) as the parties requested

  Gabriela Szlak:(sorrry my office is too noisy to open mu mike)

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Option B is based essentially on party
agreement, option A would, in effect require the provider to order registrar to
transfer, which we lack authority to do.

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):+1 Kristine;  the provider is a neutral
administrator.

  Gabriela Szlak:thanks Kristine, I believe I am understanding better now

  Laurie Anderson:David, the registrar is also neutral. We are simply acting on
the diretion of the provider and the parties in the case of a settlement.

  Laurie Anderson:direction rather...

  Matt Schneller:Complainant's counsel don't care.  Respondent's counsel may
well care for exactly the reasons K noted (although a consent judgement
shouldn't have any impact down the road, e.g. as bad faith evidence or
impacting gTLD applications or etc)

  Laurie Anderson:There is also a lot of back and forth getting agreement
between the parties in a lot of cases that the registrar ends up  having to
coordinate.

  Kristine Dorrain:As I mentioned last week, the suspension process "steps out
of" the UDRP.

  Kristine Dorrain:Matt, you're right that C's counsel doesn't care, but I know
some C's use it as leverage to get R's to settle.

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Kristine: well put - it steps out, on
the basis of party agreement

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):B is much more "hands off"

  Hago Dafalla:I agree with option A

  Matt Schneller:I guess the other metric that might be useful to know is how
strongly everyone cares about the settlement options.  At least personally,
while I prefer A, my preference is really, really weak.  Clearly, the providers
feel pretty strongly about B.  Do others that voted have strong/weak
preferences on this?

  Kristine Dorrain:As I mentioned last week, Alan, we have not heard,
anecdotally, that any registrars have been burned.

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Alan, we would be changing 10+ years of
practice over thosuands of cases for a process which overall seems to be
working well in practice

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):change in account has to be the
registrar, because the provider has no control over this in practice

  Gabriela Szlak:thinking out of the box a little: this would be so much easier
with a basic technology accesible by the parties,  registrars and providers,
where the parties choose options for settlements online and everybody sees this

  Gabriela Szlak:soem kind of platform

  Gabriela Szlak:to make people choose for options

  Gabriela Szlak:transfer

  Gabriela Szlak:not transfer

  Gabriela Szlak:i am sorry for thinking out the box

  Gabriela Szlak:exactly

  Gabriela Szlak:thanks

  Gabriela Szlak:some prefixed options

  Gabriela Szlak:Thank you Kristine

  Gabriela Szlak:Well I am participating next week at the Onlien Dispute
Resolution Forum in Montreal

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):settlement agreements in our cases are
generally communicated via email

  Gabriela Szlak:which is why I propose this

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):building infrastructure across all
providers and 1000+ registrars would be quite an undertaking

  Kristine Dorrain:I agree.  I don't think we're "there", I was just trying to
clarify for Gabriela

  Gabriela Szlak:Yes, thanks and sorry for opening more issues, when we need to
cloe

  Gabriela Szlak:close

  Kristine Dorrain:To be clear, Gabriela, it's not a bad idea...just not
practicable right now.  :)

  Matt Schneller:The main issue for complainant's counsel is typically that
you're reliant on the good faith of everyone involved with the current
procedure.  After the stay is entered, the rest of the rpocess is up in the air
- dependant on the registrant not to transfer to a different owner once it's
unlocked (or to a different registrar or etc.)  Generally, everyone DEOEs act
in good faith, and it's fine.  But, I certainly feel better about suggesting
agreeing to a settlement with a domain that is, e.g., with a predictable
registrar like GoDaddy than a registrar that is widely assumed to be an
"in-house" registrar for a registrant

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Matt:  perhaps that could be adddressed
via option B via making still clearer the change in registrant data should be
limited by terms of party agreement itself?

  Gabriela Szlak:I donĀ“t see where are you reading now? cna you clarify?

  Alan Greenberg:comment # 25

  Gabriela Szlak:thanks Alan

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):can we put that language up on the
screen?

  Marika Konings:@David - which language do you mean?

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):that michele just read out

  Marika Konings:it is there on page 14

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):oh, I have found it, tx

  Marika Konings:I think you were actually the one that suggested it in Beijing
;-)

  Gabriela Szlak:hahaha

  Gabriela Szlak:(to Michele Comment on monitors)

  Kristine Dorrain:LOL

  Alan Greenberg:YAY!

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):marika, in that case, we are ok with
that WG response in question 26!

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):The short answer to 26 is that it
probably goes beyond scope

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):...as court proceeding go beyond UDRP

  Laurie Anderson:I'd like to see something more like....

  Laurie Anderson:(3) parties request the registrar to implement the settlement
agreement by moving the domain name to the control of the complainant where it
shall remain lockedpending the receipt of a dismissal from the provider when
the domain name will be unlocked.

  Matt Schneller:yeah, i like that.

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):+1 Laurie, we could support that

  Kristine Dorrain:I like it

  Marika Konings:Thanks Laurie for that suggestion. I'll incorporate it in
option B.

  Laurie Anderson:This is the way we have handled these traditionally and it
works well.

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Court orders need to be distingusihed
from UDRP obligations

  Kristine Dorrain:Alan, sometimes the court will issue its own lock order (or
restraining order), sometimes no

  Gabriela Szlak:this should be distinguished are different locks?

  Gabriela Szlak:as

  Gabriela Szlak:my questions was for David

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Alan, can depend on court jurisdiction,
registrars are always subject to UDRP contractual obligations

  Laurie Anderson:We handle court cases as closely to the UDRP as we can unless
there are specific instructions from the court.

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):Gabriela, the obligation to lock or
unlock under UDRP should be distingusihed from any lock obligation pursuant to
court actions, interim injections, etc, as to precedence, for the registrar to
determine with advice if necessary

  Gabriela Szlak:thanks, I agree

  Matt Schneller:adios, everyone!

  Gabriela Szlak:adios Matt

  David Roache-Turner / Ty Gray (WIPO):farewell all!

  Gabriela Szlak:by!