ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-ccc]

Re: [gnso-osc-ccc] Recording for Translation Call

  • To: Zbynek Loebl <zbynek.loebl@xxxxxx>, gnso-osc-ccc <gnso-osc-ccc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-ccc] Recording for Translation Call
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 14:57:50 -0700

Dear Zbynek and Work Team members,

Gisella has helpfully pointed me to the recording of the call with Christina.
It was recorded but I had not seen it when I looked.  Here it is:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/index.html#may

Best regards,

Julie

On 9/2/09 4:48 PM, "Julie Hedlund" <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Zbynek and Work Team members,

As we discussed today, attached is the procedure for translating ICANN policy
documents.  This also was distributed prior to our call with Christina
Rodriguez, who is responsible for managing the ICANN translation process.
Unfortunately, I see that we did not arrange for the call to be recorded and
transcribed as it was not a meeting of the full Work Team.  However,  here the
notes I collected from the call.  I hope that with the attached procedures they
will provide enough useful information.   Please let me know if you have any
questions.

By separate email I will shortly distribute the action items and summary from
today's call.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Julie

Communications Work Team Translation Briefing Call,  26 May 2009 --Brief Notes

Participants:  Helen Laverty - DotAlliance, Zbynek Loebl -  Intellectual
Property Interests Constituency; ICANN Staff: Gisella  Gruber-White, Julie
Hedlund, Christina Rodriquez

 *   Christina explained various details of the ICANN policy  process:
    *   Translation into 6 UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, Spanish,  French,
Russian, and English) and sometimes 10-11 languages.  Chinese  is most in
demand, followed by Spanish.  Considering whether to add  Japanese and other
Asian languages, particularly in preparation for  the ICANN meeting in Seoul.
    *   By working with an increased number of  providers ICANN has reduced
translation costs and improved the  quality and speed of translations.
    *   Use independent providers for documents less than 25,000  words.
Independent providers provide good turnaround times, are  lower cost, and are
loyal.
    *   For documents over 25,000 words or 10+ languages, use one  business to
keep the translation memory in one place: example Welocalize (
http://www.welocalize.com/english/index.php3)  (Christina will provide a list
of vendors.)
    *   Developing an open source translation management system that  will
include all translation memories
 *   Questions:
    *   Q  -- Does ICANN provide a vocabulary of terms used in ICANN documents
to  ensure consistency? A -- Yes, this is the translation memory; the goal is
to be consistent.
    *   Q  -- Are most documents created in English and is this the legal
source?  A -- Yes and this is stated on the  translations.
    *   Q  -- Should translations have a brief summary to make them more
accessible?  A -- Yes this is something we are  considering.
    *   Q  -- Can members of the community participate in translating
documents?  A -- In many cases this cannot be done because of  concerns about
accuracy, but ICANN is considering the possibility to  enable the community to
participate in providing translations of  public comments during public comment
periods.
    *   Q  -- Does posting of documents for public consultation begin only when
all  translations are complete and does this create delays?  Could a  summary
be provided prior to posting the full translations?  A -- We  are looking into
ways to post information as quickly as possible to avoid  delays while awaiting
full translations.
    *   Q  -- It can be difficult to find documents on the ICANN sites, even
for  English speakers.  Are improvements underway?  A -- We are  looking at
translation of some web pages with links to translated  documents and making
these easier to find.