ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

RE: [gnso-osc-csg] ACTION ITEM 1 ADDITIONS: OSC-Constituency Operations Work Team 24 April Meeting

  • To: <jahedlund@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "OSC-CSG Work Team" <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc-csg] ACTION ITEM 1 ADDITIONS: OSC-Constituency Operations Work Team 24 April Meeting
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 18:12:02 -0400

Julie & All,

Here are some comments regarding the RySG and RyC charters.

Proposed RySG Charter

*
        Subtask 1, item 1: I think it may be misleading to say that the
charter excludes voting rights for constituencies.  It is true that
constituencies are not given voting rights directly but all of their
members are given voting rights if they join the RySG.  So in essence
constituencies have voting power through their members.
*
        Subtask 2, item 1b: The charter does require that minority
positions be documented in any constituency statements.  Moreover,
although it is not in the charter, the RyC is the only constituency that
has for several years reported in all of its constituency statements the
level of membership participation and the level of support.  This can be
confirmed by looking at constituency statements we submitted.  We plan
to continue this practice for the RySG.

RyC Articles of Operation

*
        Subtask 2, item 1c: The list of members on the RyC website is
inaccurate and I have called that to the attention of our Secretariat
for correction.  It wrongly shows gTLDs as members but it should show
registry operators as members.  As of the end of February, there are 14
registry operator members because VeriSign is treated as one member even
though it operates three gTLDs (.com, .net & .name).  All other members
only operate one gTLD.
*
        Subtask 3, item 1: The membership list is updated when a new
member joins or is removed, neither of which has happened very often in
the past, but may be very common going forward with new gTLDs.

Hope this helps.

Chuck