ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

[gnso-osc-csg] Re: Request for Information on Letter from GNSO to Board

  • To: Victoria McEvedy <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc-csg] Re: Request for Information on Letter from GNSO to Board
  • From: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:22:26 -0700

Dear Victoria:

Thanks for your follow-up note. Sorry for the delayed reply - only so much
bandwidth available during some weeks. I will try to address each of your items
in turn.  I have tried to organized this note in question and answer format
with each of your questions quoted from your note in bold text immediately
followed by an answer in regular text format. As Chuck knows,  I am not a fan
of this type of layout, but it seemed the best way to respond in this instance.

Question 1 - The March 2008 Memo:

"This very much raises the issues I asked you about in our meeting on April 24.
Could you please advise what followed and/or the whereabouts of any response
(in any form) from the Board to the letter above? I am copying in Denise here
as she co-wrote that letter."

"I would also be grateful for any information as to/and or a copy of the draft
Implementation notes prepared by the Staff referred to in the penultimate para
of this letter.  The letter says that the notes are to be shared with the
community for consideration and discussion. If there are no notes, please
advise."

Answer 1:

You are sure challenging my memory!  :) At its February 2008 Meeting, the ICANN
Board passed the following resolution:

Resolved (2008.02.15.03), the ICANN Board directs staff to open a public
comment forum for 30 days on the GNSO Improvements Report, draft a detailed
implementation plan in consultation with the GNSO, begin implementation of the
non-contentious recommendations, and return to the Board and community for
further consideration of the implementation plan.

Several weeks after the March memo, I think the Staff and the GNSO community
expected the GNSO Improvements process to move much more quickly. As the memo
outlines, a Council-led working group was formed to investigate a number of
approaches to planning the implementation process. The germ of those ideas and
concepts ultimately produced the present-day steering committee and work team
structures.  I say "ultimately" because it turned out that during that period
in early '08 just about every improvements issue was "contentious." It wasn't
until about six months later that most of the GNSO Council restructure issues
were largely resolved. Chuck was a founding member of that working group and
can probably offer additional insights. I am trying to research the email
archive for that group and will pass on the web site location of the archives
when I locate the correct link.

In March 2008, the Policy Staff had begun to work on draft implementation
notes, but given the delays caused by the Council restructuring debate, that
effort morphed into the production of draft work team charters. The work
product of those efforts resulted in the original work team charters produced
on each of the WIKI sites.  At the time, this work team was referred to as the
"GNSO Constituency Enhancements Team." I have attached a copy of an early draft
of that effort for your edification. The most interesting/potentially useful
part of the draft document is the appendiz section, but most of that tracks to
materials you've already seen.  One final note, the Board did not respond
directly to the memo.

Query 2:

"We have the Staff analysis of the Public Comments only. We don't have the
Staff analysis of the Constituency Submissions or the identification of changes
that the Board has directed or the records of liaison between the
Constituencies and the Staff or the Staff and the Board. If there are none,
please advise. I did ask for this on April 24th."

Answer 2:

In addition to the Staff analysis of the public comments, Julie produced a
separate analysis document to this work team on April 30 that summarized
Staff's assessment of the various constituency charter documents. The only area
that I did not see in the document was the suggestion that came out of the
public comments that constituencies be required to produce financial
data/records. That is an interesting idea that this group should explore.
Happy to share my views on that with you at the appropriate time in your
deliberations.
There were a couple of informal and preliminary Staff-Constituency discussions
about the constituency reconfirmation process but nothing in the formal record
because that part of the process was quickly moved to the "back-burner" as the
debate about stakeholder group charters grabbed the Board's attention.  The
Staff is also asked from time to time to prepare briefing and recommendations
for the Board but those documents are private and confidential; Staff is not
permitted to circulate any of those materials.
Based on the note that Julie circulated this evening from Denise, it now
appears that there will be some specific/detailed Board guidance available for
us all to discuss at this point next week.

Query 3:

"I note also in relation to my earlier request today as to the timing of the
GNSO Improvements in light of the June 2009 dates, that per the Top Level
Implementation Plan, 11 September 2008, Prepared by the GNSO Improvements
Planning Team, third DRAFT version of 16 October 2008 says at pg.8: "Neither
Steering Committee is intended to be a permanent entity.  Their respective
charters will expire on 30 June 2009, unless specifically renewed by the GNSO
council."

Answer 3:

The FINAL version of the GNSO Improvements Implementation Plan
(http://www.icann.org/en/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-implementation-plan-16oct08.pdf)
 (see - http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/ipt-en.htm at page 6 clearly
states that:

"Neither Steering Committee is intended to be a permanent entity. Their
respective charters will expire at the ICANN annual meeting in 2009, unless
specifically renewed by the GNSO Council by at least a sixty (60%) vote of both
houses in the recently approved GNSO Council voting system."

The annual ICANN meeting this year will take place in Seoul, South Korea -
October 25-30.  As far as I am aware, the work team charter is not about to
expire.  If implementation work still needs to be done in October, I'm sure the
Council will extend the charters in Seoul.  The purpose of the sunset
provisions was simply to ensure that the structures didn't become permanent
standing committees. Chuck could also provide some additional insight on this
issue.

Finally, I am struggling with your comment about feeling like you are working
in the dark. I appreciate your interest in getting together as many details as
possible.  The "dark" side of transparency is that so many documents end up
being available and linked that there can be information overload.  Moreover,
this process has been anything but clean and neat, and there is still
significant effort that must still be made to achieve final implementation of
the improvements effort.  Staff is devoting considerable effort and resources
to offer all the committees and work teams as much resources as possible to
help them work effectively.  I'm sorry that we have yet to meet your standards
but we will continue to strive to do so.

Please be assured that this work team's recommendations will have significant
weight and influence in the community and the potential to govern the
operations of stakeholder groups and constituencies for a significant time to
come.  While there are likely to be continuing debates about the overall
structure of the GNSO and the roles of various players in that framework, this
team's job is to focus on the specific details and ground rules that can only
be practically developed from the bottom up.  You should look for guidance as
you are doing but also not feel constrained or limited in your concepts and
ideas.  This should be an exercise in brainstorming and considering or trying
out new possibilities (a concept that SS has seemed to embrace in several of
his comments).

One final note.  I have been scheduled for a conflicting call tomorrow morning
so I won't initially be on the work team call - I hope that I'll be able to
join before it concludes. I noted above that Julie has passed on the message
Denise shared with the community earlier today.  Since the SIC expects to
circulate some revised document materials early next week, I'll be sure to lock
in next week's call and you all may wish to consider time on that call agenda
to specifically discuss the implications, if any, of that development on the
work team efforts.

Thank you very much for your engagement in this effort.  I sincerely appreciate
your interest in and commitment.

Best regards,

Rob Hoggarth