ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc-csg]

Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Uniformity

  • To: "Claudio Di Gangi" <cdigangi@xxxxxxxx>, owner-gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx, "Victoria McEvedy" <victoria@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Glen de Saint Géry" <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-osc-csg" <gnso-osc-csg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc-csg] Uniformity
  • From: "Zahid Jamil" <zahid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 01:34:42 +0000

I agree with this.  The language quoted in the exchange today does not go as
far as requiring uniformity nor does it extend to membership criteria.

Common principles on participation does not equal uniform membership criteria.

Every constituency has to set the criteria themselves and there is no need for
uniformity in the language quoted.  Denial of such a right would make
constituencies redundant and indistinct in their characteristics and their
differences by their very nature.

Any such extension would be a stretch and beyond mandate/charter.

Additionally I am positive this would not be acceptable to the constituencies.
(In fact this is a consensus position that has already been issued as a
statement by the BC.) If such a stretched interpretation emanates it would
likely not be accepted by the Steering Committee and not have support at least
from several constituencies in the Council.

This should be kept in mind by leads.  A perception that the team or their
leads have conferred upon them the right to expand their mandate by their
creative interpretation ought to be avoided to retain credibility of our work.